• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mike neff said:
Not banned. Yet. LOL

Just finished reading my Sunday Tribune in our small burg by the big water. Had a reprint in it from the LA newspaper, how the bubble hasn't burst and median price for LA has reached new heights.

Maybe the market didn't get the memo.

I also wanted to be the first to predict that in the future- since no one can be precise- my holdings will be much more valuable than they are today.
I don't really try to follow the CA market, but I heard something along the same vein on one of the news networks a few days ago... along the lines of continuing price increases in the LA market...

My primitive understanding of it is that LA is somewhat different than the rest of CA... movie stars, and all.

Mike S.,

Hope you enjoyed yourself in Japan; I always did even though I was working 24/7 on most trips and even when I lived there.

Pity you did not get to see one of those factory built homes go up- I had the chance to see one that went up in a day. Interesting and pretty good quality from the looks of it.

Brad

Latest Poll According To Gallup

According to Gallup, over 70% of Americans believe the housing market is in a bubble that will burst in the coming year. Problem with the math this time around is that only 32% believe the bubbles are blowing in their neighborhood.
It appears this poll is reflecting what the appraisers here are saying also.

One other item worthy of noting:

The consumer felt the energy price runup last year because real personal disposable income growth was a mere 1.5% – the slowest in 12 years – but yet consumer spending turned in a solid 3.5% gain. How is this possible? Because of the housing boom – not construction, but prices, and the ability to quickly convert that home appreciation into cold hard cash.​

"For the record, that graph includes Tokyo and 6 other cities."

I realized that George, and I guess what I was trying to say was, I'm very skeptical about other peoples data sources. There seems to be A LOT of spinning going on of late to substantiate one's viewpoints. For example: If we listened to exit polls...we'd have President Kerry! If we listened to mainstream media sources on television or in print in any of the nations largest cities...we'd be losing the war. I do my own research & know what I experienced.

"Hope you enjoyed yourself in Japan; I always did even though I was working 24/7 on most trips and even when I lived there."

"Pity you did not get to see one of those factory built homes go up- I had the chance to see one that went up in a day. Interesting and pretty good quality from the looks of it."

I did enjoy myself Brad. It was quite an experience, however, I missed my family, and opted not to go back. I developed a love for sashimi while there & my wife and I go once...sometimes twice a week now.

While I didn't see a factory home built I did witness some pretty strange construction techniques. The Japanese erected scaffolding before they'd begin construction (?). Oddest thing I ever saw in home construction (!). They'd then have to pass materials through and over all the scaffolding. I watched a number of workers take months to build a duplex. They used wood pegs & their methods were so meticulous & time consuming...but, along comes a big shaker & down they go. American building standards were certainly superior.

-Mike

mike neff said:
Not banned. Yet. LOL

Just finished reading my Sunday Tribune in our small burg by the big water. Had a reprint in it from the LA newspaper, how the bubble hasn't burst and median price for LA has reached new heights.

Maybe the market didn't get the memo.

I also wanted to be the first to predict that in the future- since no one can be precise- my holdings will be much more valuable than they are today.

All quiet from te SOCAL appraisers? Odd.

Reports of falling sales and investors stuck with properties they can't sell are just the beginning. Property owners should worry; so should their lenders.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/P149596.asp

The story went on to note that many formerly hot markets in California, Arizona, Washington, D.C., and Florida are now "languishing without buyers or even prospects. Many once-booming markets are seeing double-digit declines in sales." The magnitude of the drop in Florida home prices (once the frothiest market in the country) is striking. Single-family home sales declined 20% in February, year-over-year. Similarly, California sales dropped 15%. Some of the hottest towns in those states were off twice as much.

La County Worries

THINK OF THE LOS ANGELES county budget as a mountain balanced precariously on top of a pebble. It is a massive entity, coming in this year at $19.4 billion — less than last year's but more than nearly half the state budgets in the union.

Why is it balanced on a pebble? Because the slightest movement could send the whole structure toppling. And few things lurch more violently than the Los Angeles real estate market.

The property boom is good news for the county today, but in the words of Chief Administrative Officer David Janssen, "it's scary as hell." Janssen cites the recession-triggered meltdown of 1991, when the bottom fell out of the real estate market and the county's finances went into a tailspin. The ensuing fiscal wreckage stretched out over several years; by 1995, the county was teetering on bankruptcy. An uptick in the economy — and two federal bailouts — kept the budget afloat.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-county19apr19,0,1401948.story?coll=la-news-comment-editorials

Widespread belief that home prices never fall

This folk wisdom is often heard, and appears to be encouraged by the real estate industry. However, it is manifestly untrue, as evidenced by the relatively recent price history of housing in locations such as New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Japan, Vancouver, Hong Kong, and myriad more.

Widespread belief that housing is a sound investment
For some this has been undoubtedly true, and for others, not. In fact, Robert Shiller shows that over long periods, inflation adjusted U.S. home prices increased 0.4% per year from 1890-2004, and 0.7% per year from 1940-2004. Shiller also showed comparable results for housing prices on a single street in Amsterdam (the site of the fabled tulip mania, and where the housing supply is notably limited) over a 350 year period. Such meager returns are dwarfed by investments in the stock and bond markets (but houses at least can be lived in, while stocks and bonds are only paper). If historic trends hold, it is reasonable to expect home prices to only slightly beat inflation over the long term. Furthermore, one way to assess the quality of any investment is to compute its price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio, which for houses can be defined as the price of the house divided by the potential annual rental income, minus expenses including maintenance and taxes on the rental income. For many locations, this computation yields a P/E ratio of about 30-40, which is considered high or very high for the stock market. Just before the dot-com crash, the P/E ratio of the S&P 500 was 45.

The "ownership society" versus renting
Though he did not specifically use it in this way, President George W. Bush's 2004 reelection campaign slogan "the ownership society" reflects the strong preference of Americans to own the homes they live in, as opposed to renting them.
Speculative purchases of homes
As median home prices began to rise dramatically in 2000-2001 following the fall in interest rates, speculative purchases of homes also increased. Fortune magazine's article on housing speculation in 2005 said,
"America was awash in a stark, raving frenzy that looked every bit as crazy as dot-com stocks."
In a 2006 interview in BusinessWeek magazine, Yale economist Robert Shiller said of the impact of speculators on long term valuations,
"I worry about a big fall because prices today are being supported by a speculative fever" ,
and NAR chief economist David Lereah said in 2005 that
"There's a speculative element in home buying now."
Speculation in some local markets has been greater than others, and any correction in valuations is expected to be strongly related to the percentage amount of speculative purchases. In the same BusinessWeek interview, Angelo Mozilo, CEO of mortgage lender Countrywide Financial, said
"in areas where you have had heavy speculation, you could have 30% [home price declines]. ... A year or a year and half from now, you will have seen a slow deterioration of home values and a substantial deterioration in those areas where there has been speculative excess."
The chief economist for the National Association of Home Builders, David Seiders, said that California, Las Vegas, Florida and the Washington, D.C., area "have the largest potential for a price slowdown" because the rising prices in those markets were fed by speculators who bought homes intending to "flip" or sell them for a quick profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back