• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Housing Bubble Bursting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are factors that affect markets locally, and there are factors that affect markets nationally. Things that affect markets nationally are interest rates and energy prices; nobody escapes these. I don't see interest rates going down soon, nor do I see energy prices heading down any time soon if ever.

Greg Myers said:
In reading this thread one can't help but think of the story of the blind men and the elephant.
And there lies the truth. Some have actually felt the elephant; others hear about it; still others are walking around the room with no notice of anything saying, "What elephant? Is there an elephant? Or is there a mouse?"

It all depends on your perspective and your experience.

David Wimpelberg said:
There are factors that affect markets locally, and there are factors that affect markets nationally. Things that affect markets nationally are interest rates and energy prices; nobody escapes these. I don't see interest rates going down soon, nor do I see energy prices heading down any time soon if ever.
Question: What happens in Florida, or California, or East coast, or West coast real estate markets, can that impact on other real estate markets across the United States?

For example: There are national builders of homes. They have all cut back their plans for new homes. I am sure in some markets, the cut is severe while in other markets, they may be building to plan. But, if the economy heads down into recession, will that plus the extreme losses in some large regional markets affect the entire real estate market?

Housing Bubble -- or Bunk?

JUNE 22, 2005
bw_1x1.gif

NEWSMAKER Q&A
Housing Bubble -- or Bunk?

Are home prices soaring unsustainably and due for plunge? A group of experts takes a look -- and come to very different conclusions

Average national home prices haven't dropped since the Great Depression. But with the recent frenzy in the real estate market, investors are wondering whether the market can keep up this pace. Residential property investors have seen bubbles rise and pop on local geographic levels in past years, but the debate continues over whether a nationwide bubble has materialized.

A countrywide meltdown in housing prices could have a profound affect on the economy, as more Americans invested in real estate than in stock. According to the Federal Reserve, homes' appraised value made up 145% of nominal gross domestic product in March, while stocks and mutual funds were worth 82% of GDP.

The bubble question isn't an easy one, even for economists. BusinessWeek Online's
June Kim spoke with several economists for their thoughts on whether a housing bubble exists. The following are edited excerpts of their comments:

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/jun2005/nf20050622_9404_db008.htm

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000006&sid=alQUjPKVe8pI&refer=home

June 19 (Bloomberg) -- Confidence among U.S. homebuilders dropped this month to the lowest in more than 11 years as higher mortgage rates caused sales to fall. The National Association of Home Builders/Wells Fargo's index of builder confidence declined to 42, the lowest since April 1995, from 46 in May, the Washington-based association said today. A number below 50 means pessimists outnumber optimists. The index hasn't increased for the last eight months, the longest such stretch since 1994. Fewer home purchases and less building this year will erode consumer spending and slow the pace of economic growth, economists said. Today's report also showed a decline in builders' sales expectations and traffic of prospective buyers. ``Housing has been on a weakening trend for some time,'' Joshua Shapiro, chief U.S. economist at Maria Fiorini Ramirez Inc. in New York, said before the report. ``It's a reasonably well-contained, orderly, probably longer-lasting decline in the housing sector.'' The National Association of Realtors forecasts that sales will fall after five record years as higher interest rates and more inventory prompt builders to cut profit projections. The median forecast in a Bloomberg News survey of 24 economists called for a reading of 45 this month. The index, which averaged 67 in 2005, has dropped 30 points in 12 months. A measure of sales expectations for the next six months fell to 50 from 55, and the index of buyer traffic declined to 29 from 33. Both were the lowest since March 1995. The builders group's index of current sales fell to 47, the lowest since May 1995, from 50. All Regions Lower Confidence fell in all four regions this month, with the biggest decrease occurring in the Northeast, which plunged to 40 from 47. The Midwest declined to 25 from 29, the South fell to 49 from 51 and the West declined one point to 61. The overall decline ``is not inconsistent with the reasonably orderly cooling-down process we're projecting for home sales and single-family housing starts in 2006,'' David Seiders, chief economist at the National Association of Home Builders, said in the statement. Morgan Stanley on June 15 downgraded the U.S. homebuilding industry to ``cautious'' from ``attractive,'' saying rising interest rates and oversupply will hurt earnings. A Standard and Poor's index of 16 homebuilders stocks has fallen 30 percent this year. The number of homes available for sale is 35 percent higher than it was a year ago, according to a Wachovia Securities report on June 6 by analyst Carl Reichardt. The report said the housing slowdown is ``worse than we thought.'' There were 565,000 new homes for sale at the end of April, a record. Mortgage Rates The average rate on a 30-year-fixed mortgage was 6.63 percent last week, according to Freddie Mac, the No. 2 source of money for U.S. home loans. That compares with an average of 6.60 percent in May and 5.6 percent in June of 2005. The 30-year fixed rate has averaged about 9.5 percent since 1980. The Fed has increased the nation's benchmark lending rate to 5 percent from 1 percent since June 2004 and almost all economists expect it to raise an additional quarter point at its next monetary policy meeting June 29. Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis President William Poole on June 16 told reporters in Seoul that U.S. inflation is above his comfort zone. He was at least the ninth official from the Fed in the previous two weeks to express concern about inflation, heightening expectations that the Fed may continue raising rates after its June meeting. The National Association of Realtors forecast June 6 that new home sales would fall 13.4 percent this year to 1.11 million from a record 1.28 million in 2005. Housing starts may decline 6.2 percent to 1.94 million in 2006 from 2.07 million last year. Sales Forecasts Sales of existing homes, which make up about 85 percent of all housing sales, are forecast to drop 6.8 percent to 6.6 million this year from a record 7.08 million in 2005, the group said. The Realtors group is forecasting median price gains of 5.3 percent this year for all housing types, compared with 13 percent in the fourth quarter from a year earlier, according to the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight. The Realtor's group forecasts new home prices to rise 0.8 percent this year. KB Home, the fifth-largest homebuilder, on June 15 became the most recent builder to cut its 2006 earnings forecast. It said profit will grow at the slowest pace in five years as higher mortgage rates put a chill on demand. ``These conditions will likely persist at least through the remainder of 2006,'' Chief Executive Officer Bruce Karatz said in a statement.

Randolph Kinney said:
Question: What happens in Florida, or California, or East coast, or West coast real estate markets, can that impact on other real estate markets across the United States?

Answer: Yes, but not necessarily in a direct way. For example, a large number of foreclosures in one of these markets might make investors pull out or tighten lending rules. That could possibly have an effect in another area, but the effect might be for money to move there, helping rather than harming that market.

Great article, Randolph, thanks for posting it. I thought the Freddie guy's comments were particularly astute.

"Where Mike is located and doing business, everything is still just fine and dandy."

Where's Mike doing business?

Some here completely misunderstand me.

I don't believe housing prices will continue to rise forever...never have...never will (I keep pointing out the appraisal principle of change throughout these bubble threads).

Likewise...I don't believe in an all destructive housing bubble (except Bernanke's starting to worry me & I'm in good company).

I think where I conflict with others is evident in the fact that I look for opportunity (and I don't limit myself to my own backyard). I'm not wasting my time looking for negative news stories to post on the Appraisers Forum.

-Mike

79 pages ....Is that a record yet for longest thread???

I'm not wasting my time looking for negative news stories to post on the Appraisers Forum.

News is news, good or bad, positive or negative. Opinions are just that. Most people on the forum participate, unrestricted. I for one enjoy reading the good, the bad, the negative, the positive, the educational, the unique, etc. I hope everyone will share their experiences, their hopes, their joys, their thoughts, their opinions, their concerns, whatever they care to contribute.

A competent general (field commander) wants to hear from all his officers (junior and senior), especially those who do not agree with him. At least he can say he has an informed opinion after hearing what everyone has to say.

Can what happens in one asset market class affect value on another different asset market class? Local, regional, national?

=
I'm not wasting my time looking for negative news stories to post on the Appraisers Forum.

-Mike
If you don't aknowledge the negative, If you don't see the negative, if you deny the negative, then how do you know that something is positive. We are in a comparative world and there are people who have no idea or don't want to know what negative is, what the sickness is, what the old age is, what the homeless is because they haven't been there. So they try to keep their heads in the sand and say they don't exist or they say, I don't want to hear them. Is that the answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back