• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How Precise Do You Need To Be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reviewbe

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
A recent report came in with a value of $1,379,600. Myself, I probably would have round it up to $1,380,000, but maybe that would be too high?

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
google
"There are three rules on determining how many significant figures are in a number: Non-zero digits are always significant. Any zeros between two significant digits are significant. A final zero or trailing zeros in the decimal portion ONLY are significant."​

Mark K

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
Accurate to within $100; that appraiser is really good, or really ignorant. You chose.

I'd round to $1.375M or $1.4M. Rounding to 1.38M implies an accuracy to within $10K or less than 1%. I'd rather round to $25K at that value level unless there is a lot of good, reliable data suggesting otherwise.

OTOH, maybe his adjusted range was $1,379,500 to $1,379,700. $1,379,600 makes perfect sense. :)

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I'd rather round to $25K at that value level unless there is a lot of good, reliable data suggesting otherwise.
Yup. I wouldn't round my adjustments lower than that, much less the final value.
OTOH, maybe his adjusted range was $1,379,500 to $1,379,700. $1,379,600 makes perfect sense.
Yeah, right

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
A recent report came in with a value of $1,379,600. Myself, I probably would have round it up to $1,380,000, but maybe that would be too high?

But his fee and turn time were the lowest.

Idiot.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Meticulous and precise!
You gotta be a killer queen, dynamite with a laser beam, guaranteed to blow your mind! :D

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida

That's pretty crazy- sounds like a software spit out that exact value and he put it in, or matched a SC price. Most appraisers round up to the 1,380,000 or down to the 1, 379,000

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia

No one, myself included, is that good at forming an opinion of value. There are rules for rounding of value same as there are for measurements. Now, that said, if you are taking all the adjusted sales prices, and adding them together, then dividing by the number of comparables(which is the wrong way to do a eeconcilliation), then you can get a number like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks