• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

How to keep track of billing, accounts receivable???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damon Pedersen

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Iowa
I am looking for a new way to keep track of my accounts receivable. Does anyone use WinTotals built in program for this?? And if you do, are you integrated with the QuickBooks feature also? If you do use WinTotal, could you give me some tips, suggestions, etc. because that is the way I am leaning to start keeping track of billings.

Or, maybe if someone else has an easy tracking method, I will give it a try. It is time for a change here at the office. I would like to get a computerized method of sending out notices on past due accounts, etc.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Damon

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
I use Quickbooks and once you learn to use and IF you keept it up to date you can quickly see how owes you what. I love it.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Damon,

For years I've kept track with an Excel spreadsheet. My typical
line is

N 2306 S. Edgewood Se Borrower Lender $425 8/01

Status Address City Name Name Fee Date In

The 'N' is a status indicator, indicating New request, or 'X' complete,
or 'U' unpaid. When I want to re-bill, I just sort the last 200 lines
and find which ones are unpaid. I also use it to make notes of
appointment times. There is also a little program to sum the amount
of work I've gotten in so far this month and year, forecasted monthly and annual income.

Its easy and simple.

elliott

DianaOKC

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oklahoma
I hate using the computer for much more than getting and inputting info.. So I do my bookkeeping the old lazy way - one filing box on the floor next to my computer with files done but not paid, files have dates billed on outside and the oldest are up front. I have to look at this box every day and I can see the file date on front. When it reaches past 3 weeks I pull that file make a call or fax copy of billing and mark the outside of file. When paid I pull the file and box it away with the rest for this year. Old fashioned and lazy I know but works for me!!

Sooner Mike

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Oklahoma
I use a Microsoft Access. I love using a database because I can break down my AR any way that I want. Once you have the forms and reports built, you can see the outstanding balances of one particular lender, or all by one click of a mouse, and all of the data entry is done only once. I can see how many appraisals that I did for the month, or how many I did for a particular client per month. Access sums and averages any fields that you want. I have tried third party accounting software, but they have alot of things that I don't need, and usually don't have the one thing that I do need. With MS Access, you can build the database to suit your needs. I Love It!!

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
My Office Manager (wife) uses Quickbooks and finds it very user friendly. I would not know. I'm not allowed to use it. All I can do is go in an open reports to see the Income/Expense numbers and P&L statements. Her vote this morning is for Quickbooks. I'll have to go along with her judgement on that.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
I forgot to mention on thing I really like about Quickbooks. I back it up on a floppy disk and give it to my accountant at the end of the year. I get maybe 2 phone calls from them to verify something. (Usually an odd purchase I made). Then I go pick up the forms and mail them. If you keep your records well they have everything they need right there.

MARKETVALUE

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Jeff is correct

Quickbooks is well worth the money. We use Quickbook pro and provides everything we need to know, even if it hurts sometimes

FYI-ACI has an easy tracking system as well out of 'track'. Never used it b/c we need a more extensive balance sheet and reports, but ACI track would work well if you run a one man shop or have only one or two trainees.

Good Luck

MRM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks