• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How To Price A Waterfront Home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yourmasshome

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Massachusetts
Hello everyone I am a real estate agent. I am looking to price a waterfront home on a lake where homes almost never go up for sale. There are no comps in town and in surrounding towns and struggling with how to price this home. Any advice or suggestions?

Last edited:

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
What would the home be worth if it wasn't on the lake?

Any sales of vacant land on the lake?

Yourmasshome

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
What would the home be worth if it wasn't on the lake?

Any sales of vacant land on the lake?

Well, it's a 2 bedroom and the most expensive 2 bedroom that sold within 10 miles that was with 200 sq. ft of this house was for $400k, so around there for an non-waterfront property. It's updated and very modern on the interior.

Some other data:
Homeowner attempted to sell in 2008 for $650,000 - Expired
Homeowner attempted to sell in 2013 for $560,000 - Expired

Zillow has it at $570 and Realtor.com $471,000.

As far as the land 2 waterfront lots were sold for low low $200's.

Does this help??

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Homeowner attempted to sell in 2013 for $560,000 - Expired

Sounds like the ceiling to me.....

Did you check landvest for any active waterfront listings?

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Is the lake so unique that there are no lakes that actively compete with it? Since you have lake front lot sales (it seems), were they on the same lake?

Marketing lake properties is very seasonal. Now is the time the "tourists" come out and drive every road on the lake looking for that rare jewel. You cited a 2013 listing, but depending on your market, that may be irrelevant at this time (my market has gone bonkers and we wouldn't want to use it as a base here).

For lake properties, it is not all about the front footage, but very much about the lake and position on the lake, as well as the quality of the frontage itself. I wrote an article about my experience appraising on Michigan inland lakes a while back, if you want to read it: http://www.workingre.com/appraising-lake-property/

Yourmasshome

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Is the lake so unique that there are no lakes that actively compete with it? Since you have lake front lot sales (it seems), were they on the same lake?

Marketing lake properties is very seasonal. Now is the time the "tourists" come out and drive every road on the lake looking for that rare jewel. You cited a 2013 listing, but depending on your market, that may be irrelevant at this time (my market has gone bonkers and we wouldn't want to use it as a base here).

For lake properties, it is not all about the front footage, but very much about the lake and position on the lake, as well as the quality of the frontage itself. I wrote an article about my experience appraising on Michigan inland lakes a while back, if you want to read it: http://www.workingre.com/appraising-lake-property/

Thank you..taking a look!

isabel omalley

Freshman Member
Hello everyone I am a real estate agent. I am looking to price a waterfront home on a lake where homes almost never go up for sale. There are no comps in town and in surrounding towns and struggling with how to price this home. Any advice or suggestions?
I have appraised homes on lagoons and the way we price these homes depends on the quality of the water, the width and the privacy. Depending on the neighborhood these homes can sell for 15% to 20% higher than homes with no water.

Noreen

Professional Status
State
New Hampshire

Are you anywhere near the Merrimack Valley? Tyngsboro/Dunstable/Dracut areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks