• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hypothetical Condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diego Lopez

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Per USPAP standard 1.2g comment:

"Comment: A hypothetical condition may be used in an assignment only if:
  • use of the hypothetical condition is clearly required for legal purposes, for purposes of reasonable analysis, or for purposes of comparison;
  • use of the hypothetical condition results in a credible analysis; and
  • the appraiser complies with the disclosure requirements set forth in USPAP for hypothetical conditions."

A colleage been asked by client to provide a leased fee value based on a hypothetical lease (property not currently leased) and an addition of a billboard to the property (there is no billboard currently at the property) and a lease on said billboard.

Is this an acceptable use of a hypothetical condition since USPAP limits when we can use a HC?

BRCJR

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
It can be done.
The Appraiser must believe the lease would be considered reasonable, thus able to provide reasonable/credible results. Same goes with the factors around the billboard.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
What is a hypothetical condition? It is a lie or something that is is not true. So, if the billboard is not there and the Client wants the appraisal done as if the billboard is there, then yes, it can be done. Treat it the same way you would for a proposed construction or repairs made to a property.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
No problem. The client appears to want to know what it will be worth once such improvements are made and/or to see if it is feasible to make such changes. That's "reasonable" to me. The purpose of the appraisal would be for scenario analysis I presume.

Diego Lopez

Professional Status
State
Florida
No problem. The client appears to want to know what it will be worth once such improvements are made and/or to see if it is feasible to make such changes. That's "reasonable" to me. The purpose of the appraisal would be for scenario analysis I presume.
Yes, that is exactly it.

Diego Lopez

Professional Status
State
Florida
What is the intended use of the appraisal?

The intended use is for the client knowledge at this time. Just as a curiosity, if it were to obtain investment money to make such changes to the property, would it still be acceptable? Thanks!!!!

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
The intended use is for the client knowledge at this time. Just as a curiosity, if it were to obtain investment money to make such changes to the property, would it still be acceptable? Thanks!!!!
Then I would say this is exactly the kind of situation that an HC would be appropriate: "...purposes of reasonable analysis" and I wouldn't hesitate employing it with the necessary disclosures.

Good luck!

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
A colleage been asked by client to provide a leased fee value based on a hypothetical lease (property not currently leased) and an addition of a billboard to the property (there is no billboard currently at the property) and a lease on said billboard.

STOP, STOP, STOP.

Billboards, typically on leased land, or leased space on the exterior of the building, not usually owned by the overall real estate owner, but rather is owned by the billboard company. There should be no change other than delineating the portion of the real property to be leased to a billboard company, if, there is a billboard company interested in the location.

The billboard lease should also indicate that the billboard company will be responsible to run all utilities to, and pay for the use of the utilities, blah, blah,

So, your billboard land lease, might also require utility pole or cable easements.
Which, could impact the overall utility of the remaining real estate.
BA-ZING!

So, if you guys are starting out asking the basic HC question, I would suggest, you guys partner up with a commercial appraiser who has some experience will billboards in your local market.

Otherwise, unless your building(s) are multi-tenant, there shouldn't be any change to the property, unless of course, some trees have to be removed for the billboard location, and someone hires an arborist to appraise those trees,
BADA-BOOM!

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
also, based on the intended user this would be a 'restricted' appraisal. the recent USPAP had a lot to say on these 2 matters, you might want to look at their advisory opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks