• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I need your input! Please?

Do you think we should add additional forums? (multiple selections allowed)

• Yes, we need a Business Valuation Forum.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Yes, we need a Personal Property Appraisal Forum.

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Yes, we need a Machinery and Equipment Appraisal Forum.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Yes, we need a forum for another discipline not listed above (explain in a post)

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • No, we do not need to add forums for any of the above disciplines.

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
It has been suggested by one of our users that we should have a forum for Business Valuation and Personal Property Valuation and possibly Machinery and Equipment Valuation.

I an open to this, but would like input from other users as well.

So please vote in the poll above and offer your insight in this thread.

Thanks for your participation!

Calvin the Airedale

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
Those who may not be open to this idea are likely of the opinion that what we do as RE appraisers is too different and apart from valuations done in other disciplines as to be a totally different genus. Perhaps better, perhaps only different, but not alike in many respects.

On the contrary, the principles and theories by which value is created, maintained, destroyed and discovered are the same no matter the asset. We have that in common and much else.

Appraisal of any type is a subset of economics. The sooner we see ourselves as grappling with the same sets of problems, the more likely that the entire industry can advance.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
I actually enjoy the whole appraisal process, be it real or personal property. The research, theories and discussion. This forum makes it fun too.

I think adding a 'personal/equipment' forum would only draw more people in, which is a good thing. I would love to learn about personal property appraisers, real life experiences and stories instead of goog-l-ing for cookie cutter answers.

Calvin the Airedale

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
About 10 years back I took a 15 hour USPAP course for my five year recertification cycle. The course was given in Washington D.C. by the ASA. In a class of 70 people, I was the only real estate appraiser. Many were museum directors with specialties in fine arts. Others were mineral or timber appraisers. Many were business appraisers. The fellow I sat next to did nothing but main line passenger jets.

The discussions at lunch were amazing.

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
No, none of those listed is necessary.,

BRCJR

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
Do we NEED? I do not know.

Would it be educational and beneficial? Yes.

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I would think these specialties are a pretty small group of people.
Much smaller than RE appraisers, which is a pretty small group already.
I vote lump them all together, and give it a go.
Could be interesting, and what's to lose? :)

While I'm at it, thanks for hosting and running this forum all these years Wayne. :beer:

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Wayne, I have gotten 4 jobs through my listing on your directory so far this year. EVERYONE, go and get a listing at AppraisersUSA.com

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I don't know if I'd be interested in such forums. But if you could increase your income with ad sales by creating another forum to attract more participants from other fields, then go for it. Who doesn't like more $$$$? :)

stangtime

Professional Status
State
Maryland
I had an appraisal job several years ago of a 20mil industrial piece that was rented by a train line. The appraisal had to include a value for the personal property; basically all the stuff required to maintain trains. Needless to say an M&E appraiser was hired to value the personal property. I found his methods and his stories of being hired and sent all over the world very interesting. Might be edifying to have some M&E folks on here.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks