• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I'm looking for a good 1025 (small income) class for my appraisal skills.

gorillakimchi

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
California
Good morning!

I am looking for a good sales comparison & income approach class.

I've learned theoretical things from Prerequisite courses but also want to learn a real case study from a professional appraisers.

A from 1025 would be perfect for me and I'm particularly interested in a course that explores actual cases and explains the process of selecting comparables, supporting adjustments, and developing the

sales, income, and cost approaches.

If you took a good class recently, please let me know.

Thank you :)

These classes come and go but less often lately. I took the AI online apartment class and felt it covered the basics of market and property analysis. It's geared for more than four units but is still relevant to advancing your knowledge—fundamentals of Apartment Appraising. I'm sure McKissock has something that will interest you. The last in class was almost ten years ago. I find the 1025 form awkward as if they tried to make it like an SFR process. The prior 2-4 family form was more logical.

I'm new here so not sure about old 2-4 family form :)

I will check AI apartment class. ( I think AI classes are expensive though )

Thank you!

I despise the 1025 form more than any other. But, that's the form the GSEs use so it is what it is.

The predecessor to that was a 2-page form from the 1970s. If memory serves is was intended for use with 2-12s, although I personally think the 71b more effectively covers the basics for the smaller properties. The 71b, 71a and land forms are all pre-USPAP so that's how long they've been around.

FYI, the adjustment factors for a 2-4 will often use a much different number than when adjusting an SFR. You're gonna need a bigger boat.

I'm new here so not sure about old 2-4 family form :)

I will check AI apartment class. ( I think AI classes are expensive though )

Thank you!
I am not advocating for AI, but good education will form the foundation of your appraisal knowledge. AI and McKissock are close in price.

The classes for 1025 are too theoretical. In a perfect world, the comps should be there and the numbers fall into place.
Each appraisal is unique and appraiser has to deal with whatever comps and rentals available to do the best work.
Many think there's a class to teach them step by step to an answer.
If you're an appraiser, you always think outside the box and figure out from data you have in producing a convincing report.

FYI, the adjustment factors for a 2-4 will often use a much different number than when adjusting an SFR. You're gonna need a bigger boat.
This^^^^^^^^

IMHO. It takes a different "mind set" than doing the typical single family on a 1004. Things are sometimes different than they appear.

Good morning!

I am looking for a good sales comparison & income approach class.

I've learned theoretical things from Prerequisite courses but also want to learn a real case study from a professional appraisers.

A from 1025 would be perfect for me and I'm particularly interested in a course that explores actual cases and explains the process of selecting comparables, supporting adjustments, and developing the

sales, income, and cost approaches.

If you took a good class recently, please let me know.

Thank you :)
McKissock offers 3 different courses on residential adjustments that together provide IMO an excellent understanding of adjustments (perhps too excellent). Not just that but IMO every single question that a student emails to the instructor of every McKissock course is returned without about 24 hours with a response way above-&-beyond the quality of response that one might expect. I enrolled for the unlimited membership about two years ago, subsequently competing like 60 hours of CE credit that I didn't need, saving $$$$$$$.

i never had a 2-4 class with my designation classes. problem is that the form is a hybrid of residential and commercial, but giving more value to the residential part. i'm in a big city, but i never seem to do that many during the year. and some are not the most fun to do. there might be a book about it in the appraisal institute store. by the way, the institute never cared about residential appraisers.

McKissock offers 3 different courses on residential adjustments that together provide IMO an excellent understanding of adjustments (perhps too excellent). Not just that but IMO every single question that a student emails to the instructor of every McKissock course is returned without about 24 hours with a response way above-&-beyond the quality of response that one might expect. I enrolled for the unlimited membership about two years ago, subsequently competing like 60 hours of CE credit that I didn't need, saving $$$$$$$.
unlimited membership around $750 (big amount for me) and I was wondering it's worth or not. Because I have OREP insurance, it offers 14 hours free CE and if I bundle it with other classes, I can buy it for a discounted price. 14 hours Free CE + "how to support and prove your adjustment" = $99
I think it's a good value for me, so I will try this first. Thanks for your comment, and I will consider the McKissock Unlimited Membership in the near future, since there are many classes that I also want to take.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back