• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Inventory - Shortage/In Balance/Oversupply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikolay Pavlov

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Jersey
When would the inventory be considered low? Or high? Any ideas? My instructor says that if active+pending are little over past year sales, then there is balance. I'm curious what do you think, when the inventory is considered low? 1 month, 2, 3, 6, 12? Thanks.

cmitchell

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
I personally like seeing less active/contract listings than sold prior 12 months. Of course make sure your defined research area is the same through out the research so the stats are useful. Also, the active/sold ratio trending data over several years is helpful. I look at year to year data, neighborhood data, price trends with ratio data to develope an opinion about the market status.

MRB

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
typically supply and demand will be in balance when the absorption rate of inventory is 6 months +/-. ill look at 24, 12, 6 and 3 month time periods for a trend in home sales and consider seasonal factors when determining the market's absorption rate.

Amy Perkins

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
It really does depend on the market. First I determine what kind of market is applicable to the property I am appraising, then I extract a supply and absorption rate. In a normal market with no REOs and stable pricing, I would say over six months is a slight oversupply. When you get to ten months or a year for a long period of time that is when prices begin to drop. What I see alot of in the beginning of a declining market are no condo sales and lower end single-family properties selling for what the Condos were. However, in some REO markets I have seen properties with a supply in balance, but since they are all REOs or Short Sales, prices keep dropping to liquidate and stay competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks