• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Loading the Cap Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb2010

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Illinois
I'm valuing an income producing office building. The tenant has a net lease - they pay all expenses except base rent to the landlord. When doing an income analysis, should I not load the cap rate because the owner is not paying the property tax? When should a cap rate be loaded in relatively simple income valuations? Thank you.

Mztk1

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I'm not a commercial appraiser and I know there are people on here who can answer this question for you, but haven't. I'm just going to throw something out to try and spark others on.

When determining the real estate tax on an income property it would be appropriate to remove the taxes from the income statement and net income to be capitalized, because otherwise you'd be pre-supposing your conclusion.

If you are dealing with long term leases and want the leased fee value, you'd use a direct cap rate to the actual, not a loaded rate; if you are doing a fee simple valuation, leases are short term, you'd want to determine the market rent for your property and use direct capitalization, not a loaded cap rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks