• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Looking to relocate to New Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardingly

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Minnesota
Hi everyone, I'm exploring the possibility of relocating to NM, perhaps Santa Fe or Albuquerque. Does anyone have insight as to how the appraisal business is there? We like the Santa Fe area, but I would imagine most of the appraisal work is in Albuquerque. Any recommendations as to where to live? What other questions should I ask?

Scott R Marshall

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Mexico
Mr Smith,

There are some real differences in appraising in New Mexico. First off we are a non-disclosure state. While I will not go into all the details of what that means, the biggest impact is that word of mouth and MLS are the only resources available for a lot of pertinent items. Secondly Santa Fe and Albuquerque MLS systems are separate. If you want both it will run you about $350 to $400 per year (even though I just renewed I forget the exact amount) for Santa Fe and about $500 per year for Albuquerque. In addition you will need to be in good standing with one of those 2 offices (an active member) and that will run you close to $600 per year.

As for appraising within those 2 markets, Santa Fe is by far the hardest of the 2 for multiple reason. The primary reasons are the vast diversity of housing and micro-markets, the overall lack of reliable data in the MLS system and the general trend that Santa Fe realtors will not talk to you regarding information. While the latter 2 have gotten slightly better it is still not good. Albuquerque is the easier of the 2 markets and where the majority of work is.

As for business, for me personally it is has not been good over the last 6 months. I have also heard that currently there has been a marked slowdown and that a lot of appraisers are slow but I am sure there are some exceptions.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I want to move to Otero county....maybe Lincoln co....I want my neighbors to be at least 12 miles away. To heck with appraising. I want to retire.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Sante Fe is fairly expensive, much of Albuquerque is not.

nm505

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
I want to move to Otero county....maybe Lincoln co....I want my neighbors to be at least 12 miles away. To heck with appraising. I want to retire.

We welcome you, Terrel. Come on down. It would be great to have someone of your knowledge in our fair state.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
We welcome you, Terrel.
NM is an interesting place.
You can live in the warm weather of Alamagordo and drive 20 miles to Cloudcroft and go skiing. I cannot think of any other place that I have seen antelope grazing on a golf course. Billy the Kid, Oliver Lee, Kit Carson, ah, the history of the West. You can trout fish. You can hunt. Rock hound. Caves. Mountains, desert, lakes...ride a steam engine. I like it.

nm505

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Yes, and the drought and dust blowing spring winds BUT better than the floods along the great mississippi river and terrible fires that TX has experienced. I love it here and will never leave. Can't wait to leave appraising however.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
There is good bass fishing in New Mexico too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks