• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Mac-wintotal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ncamburn

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Jersey
I hate windows 10 and am in the market for a new computer. I was thinking about a Mac but it's not compatible with wintotal. Anybody using Mac and the boot camp app so you can also use windows and wintotal?

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I use Windows 7 running Parallels virtual machine on my iMac to run Total. Works fine.

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
doesn't the newest version of alamode software require win10?

Fargo1

Professional Status
State
North Dakota
I hate windows 10 and am in the market for a new computer. I was thinking about a Mac but it's not compatible with wintotal. Anybody using Mac and the boot camp app so you can also use windows and wintotal?

If I'm not mistaken, boot camp will only allow you to boot into Windows or Mac. So you will always be restarting your computer back and forth between the two. A better solution would be to look into a virtual machines such as Parallels as Randolf mentioned above. There is also VMWare and Virtualbox. With a virtual machine you will run a copy of Windows inside of your MacOS. So when you want to run Total, first you will open the virtual machine then you will open Total inside the virtual machine. Its kind of mind blowing at first to realize that you are running an entire operating system on top of another operating system. But it works.

I am currently running Linux with with Windows 7 inside of Virtualbox. It works well, but I wish someone made a crossplatform appraisal suite so I could get rid of the virtual machine.

Total Titan will be another solution in the future, but apart from getting rid of Windows, I'm really not excited about everything being done in the 'cloud'.

doesn't the newest version of alamode software require win10?
Nope as stated above both Mr Kinney and myself are running Windows 7 inside of virtual machines. Infact, until recently I used Total on XP inside a virtual machine. So from what I can tell, Total will run on pretty much any version of Windows. But unless you are inside a virtual machine sandbox, I wouldn't recommend using a non-supported version.

Fernando

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I use WinTotal on XP and Total on Windows 10 on separate computers. I still like XP. Why did support stopped for XP. Whyyy.
If Total was on iMac, I would be using it on my iMac.

Autazell

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
California
I've been using Parallels on my Mac (first with ACI and now with Total) for over 10 years. It's gotten much, much easier to set up and use the past few years. As mentioned above, A La Mode will be releasing Titan a web based platform later this year which would theoretically allow you to use Total without any Windows based virtual machine for an additional cost... I'm not sure I would be willing to pay extra for that, but we'll see once it comes out. Bottom line, life with a Mac is so much easier. Upgrade your Ram to accommodate the extra strain on your resources and get Parallels, It offers a nearly seamless interface for a minimal cost. Totally worth it.

Bearcat Bri

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
Late to the party, but ditto.

iMac
Parallels
Windows XP

I am waiting for Titan or I will have to upgrade Windows and Parallels in May when the mapping for XP goes bye bye. I'm not real optimistic at this point. Titan was supposed to release 3 months ago.

Fargo1

Professional Status
State
North Dakota
I too thought Titan was supposed to be here by now. Its a big reason I stuck with Total instead of switching to a different forms provider when my subscription came up last fall. I have nothing but trouble with Total and I'm ready for something better. From what I have seen with the beta of Titan, it will work better than Total. But I do expect some features will be missing.

Unfortunately when I was speaking with a sales rep yesterday, they now say Titan won't release until this fall. I really wish someone would have just made a cross platform forms suite so I could just install my software in my Linux box and be on my way. I'm really not excited about being cloud based, but I find Virtualbox is not a perfect solution either. It will be interesting next fall to see if I prefer the cloud or if I am better off to continue using Virtualbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks