• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Michigan appraiser/AMC won't pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

junebug

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Hi Michigan appraisers. I am an appraiser in NC who was doing REO work for a Michigan AMC. The contact person is a licensed Michigan appraiser. After completing and being compensated for numerous appraisals in my state, this AMC has decided to not pay me for the last assignment I completed. A complaint was filed with the licensing authority in your state, but it seems there is no violation of license law. Does anyone have any helpful hints?? It's bad enough when banks and mortgage companies stiff you, but when a fellow appraiser has a direct hand in it ... that's unforgiveable. I won't name names .... Yet

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Like a Dart right? No recourse only to file a claim in court...stiffing someone is a business decision, not an appraisal problem...therefore not a licensing issue.

Professional Status
State
Michigan
After completing and being compensated for numerous appraisals in my state, this AMC has decided to not pay me for the last assignment I completed.

Ddi they give you a reason that they are not paying you for this particular file? Did the AMC or the lender go under? Was there a disagreement about the case?

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
File a complaint with the NC Banking commissioner. They will send out and very strongly worded suggestion that you are paid!

junebug

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Thanks for the responses. I have been given no reason for the non payment. He has not responded to my emailings or faxings of the past due invoice. When I try to call, he does not answer and does not return my calls. I contacted the company that contracted him for these REO appraisals, and they told me they have gotten similar complaints from other NC appraisers as well, but said they could not help. He was paid by this company, who is a contractor for HUD, so they feel their obligations have been fulfilled. They no longer send him NC assignments.

junebug

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I would not be surprised if appraisers in other states have been stiffed by this guy as well. And I understand that stiffing someone is a business decision. However, it would seem that there is a place for ethics in our professional relationships with each other. I had a similar situation with my supervising appraiser when I was a trainee. He ran out of money to pay me, and the NC board would offer no help. At least in that case I was in the same state and could (and did) take him to court. He was free to take on more trainees and it was up to him whether or not he paid them. Every time we accept an order from an out of state mortgage company or AMC we are gambling on getting compensated for our work. Maybe requiring prepayment is the answer, but they would probably just call Skippy so they can get their free comp check, low fee, a guaranteed value and then stiff him on the payment
:new_smile-l: :clapping:

junebug

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
The company name is State Value Management www.statevaluemgt.com
located in Southfield Michigan. The website is bare bones and you will find no company info there, but the appraisal work is uploaded through the site. The contact person is Joshua Griggs. He stated to me in initial conversations that he is an appraiser. My research found a Joshua Jordan Griggs licensed in Michigan. I have recently been told that a Joshua Jordan Griggs claims to be licensed in 6 states. If this is the same person ... there may be a lot of appraisers who need to watch out.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
http://www.ASC.gov/Content/category...?key=GKJDPMGPTSO&querynumber=6&columnsChoise=

Last Name: GRIGGS
First Name: JOSHUA
Middle Initial: J
Name Suffix:
Company: STATE VALUE APPRAISAL

Appraisal Licenses:
Michigan = Inactive
Ohio = Inactive
Georgia = Inactive
New Mexico = Inactive
ARIZONA = ACTIVE (maybe it just hasn't expired yet?)

Shows his main address is a single family residence in West Bloomfield, Michigan, and provides a phone number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks