• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Minor cosmetic, deferred maintenance or subject to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all!
I have already mentioned all the items. I just added an est cost to cure. still an "as is"
Appreciate it.

After reading this post, i can understand how AMC's are getting away with low appraiser fees. Nothing against the poster, but why ask in a forum if you have a mentor that is looking over your shoulder? This post answers half the questions asked about what happened to our fees!

After reading this post, i can understand how AMC's are getting away with low appraiser fees. Nothing against the poster, but why ask in a forum if you have a mentor that is looking over your shoulder? This post answers half the questions asked about what happened to our fees!

I know of many examples where the trainee had issues with a report and the supervisor told them to research it and find out for themselves.

There used to be a trainee gal who posted here quite frequently because her supervisor told her to get multiple opinions. Haven't seen her post in a very long time.

Well, I really did not want to answer the questions by 1iview right after I posted this question, however, this is a similar one, so I feel the necessity.

My mentor / supervisor / AG / etc. was sleeping at that moment and I wanted to complete the report last night for him to review it in the morning. I believe that I am doing something right by trying to learn the correct way from numerous experienced appraisers here. As you may have noticed, answers may vary to a simple question as well. Is there some kind of a rule says that we cannot ask questions before asking it to our mentors?
I have seen some ARs mentioning this situation as a cosmetic and would not mention an est cost to cure, and some putting the est cost to cure, etc.
I assure you, this post has nothing to do with the low appraisal fees of AMCs! Otherwise you may c/p this line of yours under every other question by an AT, AR or AG. I am also an architect and can't see any sense when people presume your knowledge by correlating it to your "appraiser trainee" title.
"Nothing against the poster" disclaimer does not mean anything after I read the rest of the post.
You are absolutely not obliged to reply to the questions that you find silly or simple, yet some tolerance would be nice.
At the end, I am trying to learn, not intending to do a sloppy job.

okay, I understand your intent and my intent wasn't to bash you either, but my curiosity and suspicions led me answer the way i did. I would expect that upon inspection , with your mentor?, this would have been noted as both of you inspected the subject together? I may be wrong, but doesn't a trainee have to be accompanied by his mentor on an inspection? When you came upon the warranted cosmetic repairs, he was not present? Maybe he doesn't have to be, but i was under the impression that a cert. must accompany a trainee on an inspection? Maybe i am wrong? In any event ask away, ill keep my key board quiet:-)

I would mention them as repair items, give a est cost to cure, but not make the report "subject to"

I agree to the opinions of making the report "as is". However, to avoid confusion, don't use the word repair, unless you are calling for one. Use terms describing the deferred maintenance and include the pictures, etc.

As an example, "There was a small hole present in the dryall in the garage area near the water heater, approximately 1" square. The estimated cost to cure is $100. The report is written "as is" as this item has been noted in the overall condition rating of the subject property."

To add the word "repair" to the above is not necessary and could lead to confusion on whether the appraiser is calling for repairs or not.

okay, I understand your intent and my intent wasn't to bash you either, but my curiosity and suspicions led me answer the way i did. I would expect that upon inspection , with your mentor?, this would have been noted as both of you inspected the subject together? I may be wrong, but doesn't a trainee have to be accompanied by his mentor on an inspection? When you came upon the warranted cosmetic repairs, he was not present? Maybe he doesn't have to be, but i was under the impression that a cert. must accompany a trainee on an inspection? Maybe i am wrong? In any event ask away, ill keep my key board quiet:-)

We used to be able to change our status on this board before licenses were checked. I changed my status from CG to trainee for about a month or so. The answers/challenges I got when posting as a trainee were significantly different when I was shown as a trainee.

In Iowa we did a substantial amount of eminent domain work. There was always the appraiser and the review appraiser. For a very large, multi-property assignment the reviewer was an MAI. His assistant was not even a trainee, just his assistant, for 15 years. She knew more about real estate than most people on this forum.

Point is, I know it is tough, and people like to vent, and it is sometimes human nature to assume the worst. But there are many who come here looking for advice so that they can impress their mentor the next morning, or learn something new. This really happens, I know.

If everyone were to treat others on this board like their little sister it would be more friendly.........of course until they spout something stupid and detrimental.

:)

You are definitely right about the fact that the certified must be present during the inspection and we were together at the time of inspection. I just forgot to ask him that question at that time and you must know better how fast paced things are now. we have 48 hours turnaround time and my supervisor needs enough time to review the report as well. He is not a night bird like me and I didn't have anyone to ask but the forum. That is it. No need to be skeptical about anything here. Everything is being done in good faith and in a decent way. I would love to clear up your curiosity at the first place if you had approached in a different way rather than patching the low fee issue on me :huh:
In any event I will ask you via PM with releasing full details :) :peace:

We used to be able to change our status on this board before licenses were checked. I changed my status from CG to trainee for about a month or so. The answers/challenges I got when posting as a trainee were significantly different when I was shown as a trainee.

In Iowa we did a substantial amount of eminent domain work. There was always the appraiser and the review appraiser. For a very large, multi-property assignment the reviewer was an MAI. His assistant was not even a trainee, just his assistant, for 15 years. She knew more about real estate than most people on this forum.

Point is, I know it is tough, and people like to vent, and it is sometimes human nature to assume the worst. But there are many who come here looking for advice so that they can impress their mentor the next morning, or learn something new. This really happens, I know.

If everyone were to treat others on this board like their little sister it would be more friendly.........of course until they spout something stupid and detrimental.

:)

Your motto tells everything. Thank you for interpreting my thoughts clearly. I didn't know that there was a license verification system here. Obviously not for trainees cause I didn't have to enter my license number anywhere in the forum.
Oh, by the way, I would be happier if they treat me like their little brothers though :) jk

jibiuro, don't let my previous posts hinder you from asking questions in the future. This is a great forum of knowledge. I wish you well in your road to becoming an appraiser!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back