• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Missing flooring in bedroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmedina

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Hello fellow appraisers:

Can someone refer me to the section which FHA addresses missing flooring (carpet). I took a class back in November of 07 and I recall the instructor mentioning that missing flooring was no longer an item to call out based on new HUD guidelines. Is this true?

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Ohio
Safety, soundness and security are the big 3 for FHA. Missing carpet is not a safety issue, but missing flooring is.:icon_mrgreen:

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Let me guess... it's plywood only?

jmedina

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
oops! my bad. i meant to say missing flooring. should I add a cost to cure for the missing carpet???

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Finished floor cover is not required by FHA. Adjust as required for market acceptance, but it is not a correction issue.

Lobo Fan

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
I attended an FHA class back in May and the said that floor coverings are not required as an MPR item. Market adjustments of course but bare concrete or plywood was OK.

Greg Bell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Louisiana
If the sub floor is exposed (Plywood).Call for floor coverings.Just did one with all sub-flooring exposed.It' s a safety issue.Cant' live on the sub floor.Some FHA classes are wrong , sorry to say.Donna is correct.If flooring is just nasty , not an MPR.Exposed flooring calls for an MPR repair..

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I would call for floor coverings if the plywood was exposed. There may be some splitering in the subfloor. If the floor was concrete slab, I would not call for floor coverings but just make a market adjustment in the grid.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Be sure it's necessary.

I would call for floor coverings if the plywood was exposed. There may be some splitering in the subfloor. If the floor was concrete slab, I would not call for floor coverings but just make a market adjustment in the grid.
One of the most prevalent problems with FHA appraisals at this time is appraisers calling for unnecessary repairs and inspections is what I was told.

Greg Bell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Louisiana
One of the most prevalent problems with FHA appraisals at this time is appraisers calling for unnecessary repairs and inspections is what I was told.
It's easy to add non MPR items because if you miss a repair considered an MPR you can be in trouble.The problem is that FHA completely changed the rules and went from nit picking to that's cosmetic . Although the House you are inspecting has a Harley Davidson repair shop in the living room not to worry , it's cosmetic. Two feet of peeling paint in the Kitchen (pre 1979) that's MPR. Now we must play the game of What's MPR??Quite a bit of responsibility for the appriaser...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks