• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

MLS - Are they Run by Underwriters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Our MLS sent a letter saying that we'd be receiving our bill by email June 1 and that our fees are jacked up another $60 for the year...the reason they were calling me last month to provide a better email address. It will save money to email the bill.

Of course, they are hemmoraging members so they want to squeeze as much money out of us as possible and have demanded we provide the name of any person (trainee, secretary, etc.) that might use their system.

Let me repeat that.

Our MLS sent a letter saying we'd be receiving our bill by email....

Metamorphic

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Just tell them "Sorry, I dont have access to the internet." ;)

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Our MLS sent a letter saying that we'd be receiving our bill by email June 1 and that our fees are jacked up another $60 for the year...the reason they were calling me last month to provide a better email address. It will save money to email the bill.

Of course, they are hemmoraging members so they want to squeeze as much money out of us as possible and have demanded we provide the name of any person (trainee, secretary, etc.) that might use their system.

Let me repeat that.

Write them that you "easier" email address is...."eat ****.com.

Nahhhhh. that wouldn't be nice.

jeanwillick

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Ours is a small board & fees haven't gone up yet. We lost 22 members last year due to retirement so I expect fees will eventually go up. We have also lost Realtors due to slow market, but the ones that were here before the boom are still here--just lost all the part timers and newbies.
Have seen and been thru this before as we have been in the real estate profession for 36 years.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
My point is that if you are trying to save money by emailing instead of letters...why would you seen a letter out ONE WEEK ahead of the email? A - send the bill or B - email and see what addresses bounce.

c w d

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida

Let me repeat that.

Terry, we just went through this late last year. They required all of our trainees to join nefar & nar in order to access MLS within 10 days from the notification or they'd cut access completely for our office. After they collected our $500+ from each of us me and a bunch of other appraisers started to ask questions and started looking through their by-laws and charter for procedural information in order to fight it. I think they got the picture we weren't going to accept this since trainees are not appraisers but require access through our appraiser. Eventually, their lawyer's told them they couldn't charge trainees and that was that. They refunded our money. I, as well as other, were planning to note every error we found in MLS and bring it to their attention during their board meetings. After that we were planning to start petitioning our start regulators about the "inaccuracies", their frequency and seemingly habitual occurrences and challenge their statement on every listing "deemed reliable but not guaranteed". How can the information be deemed reliable if it's not??? When they dropped the fee requirement I had already collected over 100 occurrences and there was a clear pattern of misinformation from certain realtors.

Perhaps you can use a similar approach should they start charging your trainees.

GCJim

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Multiple Listing Systems: Monopolies acting just like monopolies, usually.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
....and if they had not sent the letter, you would have been pi--ed at that.

What's the problem?

Relax a little. It's Friday.

:dancefool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks