• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

mobile vs manufactured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wil in Norcal

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I am appraising a manufactured/mobile home and I just want to check my definition of what is a manufactured home.

This home has no certification label, the owner is not the original owner and has no paperwork on it, so he says. I don't know who manufactured the home, but the owner thinks it was built in 1972. It is a double wide and has two HUD tags. It has had the wheels removed, and is on a "permanent foundation" The subject is located in a "mobile home park" where the owners do not pay a land lease but own the land. (They do pay $50 a month but that is really more of a HOA) I have not done a manufactured home in several years, and do not do a lot of them. Based on the above, this is a manufactured home right? I searched previous threads and could not find an answer, does anyone have a source for a definition.

Rich Heyn

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Wil,

If it was built in 1972 it's not a manufactured home. Manufactured homes were not built until after June 15, 1976.

You say it has "HUD tags," which would indicate it was built to the HUD code and is a manufactured home.

You'll need to reconcile these two seemingly contradictory issues. Everything else in your post is not really relevant to solving the problem. Can you post the exact language on the "HUD tags?" Or, better yet, post an image of one of the tags?

Definitions:

Mobile home—A factory-built house on a permanent chassis constructed prior to enactment of the HUD Code on June 15, 1976.

Manufactured home—A factory-built house manufactured under the Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards Act, commonly known as the HUD Code.

The above definitions are taken from:
Appraising Manufactured Housing: An Appraiser’s Perspective
Copyright © 2007 by Richard Heyn, SRA and Dawn Molitor-Gennrich, SRA, Baroda, MI. All rights reserved

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Please refer to post #2.

Wil in Norcal

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
I remember the 1976 cut off date, but I did not know the date, thank you. [/ATTACH] I have included a couple photos, 1 of the subejct and 1 of the HUD tag

The HUD tag is hard to read but the info on it reads as follows:

M 40
S 51220
PLG X
Htg X
El X
A 429775

there were two of these, on on each section located just above the skirting in the rear, on the left side.

Attachments

• IMG_4655.JPG
    IMG_4655.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4659.JPG
    IMG_4659.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 43

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
That is not a HUD tag, it is a tag issued by California for mobile homes constructed in that state prior to June 15, 1976--therefore you have a mobile home. First thing you need to do is call your client. Since it is a mobile home it might not be eligible for any of their loan programs.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Yeah, that isn't a HUD tag.

You got yourself a camper there. Personal property all the way.

Wil in Norcal

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
personal property regardless of if the borrower owns the lot? I guess that does not make any difference though? Can mobile homes be real property? If one considered method of attachment, and intent?

Rich Heyn

Professional Status
State
Michigan
personal property regardless of if the borrower owns the lot? I guess that does not make any difference though? Can mobile homes be real property? If one considered method of attachment, and intent?

Mobile homes can be real property.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia

Whether they are classified as real or personal property is a matter of state law. If they are taxed as real estate, and on a pemanent foundation, they are real estate. The problem is with financing. The only lenders that will finance the type property presented here is likely a local bank that holds the loan in their own portfolio. The exception is that VA will guaruntee a loan as long as it is legally real estate regardless of age. It depends on whether or not it meets VA minimum property requirements.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
The hummer is worth more that the home.....wait....its in Cali....thats a 1.2 million dollar property....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks