Mark K
Elite Member
- Joined
- Jan 27, 2004
- Professional Status
- Certified Residential Appraiser
- State
- Indiana
I think a modular or factory built home can be every bit, and even better, than a stick/site built home. I suppose they could also be worse. What about a poorly built site/stick home? Is anyone on the lookout for those? Because few of these homes exist, it is difficult to measure the impact on value or marketability as compared to traditional builds.
There are some low quality stick builders in this area so its not too difficult to find these sales. I did a study a few years back on the sales price difference between low end stick-built and mods and found it to be about -10% in favor of the stick built. In reality, the mods were probably at least equal in quality but the market hasn't accepted mods as equal, hence the difference.
Problem is...as I mentioned earlier, the mods cost as much or more once the mod dealers charge for all of the 'extras'.
(the sound of a screeching halt) The market has spoken. Umm, I think appraisers are supposed to pay attention to the market..

