• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Modular vs. Manufactured. Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sound advice Jim, when in doubt find out where and from whom it was originally purchased and go to the source. If the present owners don't have the information it should be in the public records at the courthouse. If not, I'd call all manuf/modular dealers within a good distance to find out if they have any recollection on it.

The information is out there, you just have to look for it.

From the pictures, I'd bet a case of beer it's manufacured!
 
From the pictures, I'd bet a case of beer it's manufacured!

I'll take that bet!

It is very new and a 2 X 4 inch HUD tag should be on the left side of the unit facing the street but isn't. I can see three sides and none of them have the tag. Plus I've done a lot of these that were modular and looked just like that.
 
Greg,

I did see a steel frame underneath, yes.

Steve

This may not be a modular, still, but I doubt it.

You probably have an on frame mod. If there are no serial numbers to track down, and no HUD plates, I would treat it as such.

In which case, FNMA won't fund it.

DO NOT treat it like a HUD home and put it on a 1004 C for Fannie unless you can verify verify verify that is is a HUD home.

This is a big bugaboo with our state board down here in tornado bait heaven.

I think you have an on frame mod. See Joanne's post above.
 
This is a general posting not just to OP. Me thinks a lot of appraisers are doing Manufacture Homes and don't have a clue as to what type of Manufacture home they are are working on, or how to go about getting the necessary data to establish what they are working on?

Me also thinks this could be a USPAP problem if they are continuing to do the report with out the knowledge and sending it in.


Ray,

You have seen the pictures, what is it?

Steve
 
Ray,

You have seen the pictures, what is it?

Steve

The point is you can't tell by looking at the outside. It was built in a factory, but it could be a HUD code manufactured home or a On frame modular.

Since IBTS says its not a manufactured (HUD) then its likely an on frame modular. Since you are in Tennessee, look for this http://www.ibts.org/pdfs/TENNESSEE.pdf
 
Mod vs. Manuf

I called the factory that built it and they said it was a manufactured unit. So someone owes somebody some beer.:) Time to pay up. Thanks for all the suggestions and help given.

Steve
 
Stephen, just curious, where did you get the serial number info from? Many manufactured and mods here have the same look Data Plate, with the HUD seal numbers not filled in on the mods, and the state specific modular tag nearby:
data_plate.jpg
 
Stephen, just curious, where did you get the serial number info from? Many manufactured and mods here have the same look Data Plate, with the HUD seal numbers not filled in on the mods, and the state specific modular tag nearby:
data_plate.jpg

Mr. Rex,

Got the numbers off of sheet like you have on your post. The sheet was on the back side of a cabinet door at the kitchen sink.

Steve
 
Jim, I enjoy most brands of beer! Maybe next time I'm in Florida I'll collect! I've only been there once back in about 2000 so don't rush right out and buy it!

Oly in ND!
 
Mr. Rex,

Got the numbers off of sheet like you have on your post. The sheet was on the back side of a cabinet door at the kitchen sink.

Steve

The HUD label numbers are on the left, in the boxes about 2-3 lines below the manufacturer data, next line below the Serial Number box if I'm not mistaken. I always double check to make sure these numbers match the exterior labels when they are present.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top