• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

NCAB appraisal count

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
As of 09/01/2020:

The total count from the NCAB is currently 3,936. Of those 701 are out of state appraisers.

Of the 3,235 in-state appraisers recognized by the NCAB

1165 are Certified residential
1370 are Certified General
89 are Licensed
610 are Trainees huge increase by %

On 08/22/018 there were 1821 Certified Residential
1264 Certified General
72 Licensed
409 Trainees

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
So far this year, roughly 1600 different appraisers have submitted reports for residential NC properties

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
For North Carolina that represents an increase over past years. That's actually a good sign because our population is increasing also. Additionally the new appraisers are slowing the loss that may take place at a faster rate due to age.

It would interesting to know how many Trainees are practicing full time.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
For North Carolina that represents an increase over past years. That's actually a good sign because our population is increasing also. Additionally the new appraisers are slowing the loss that may take place at a faster rate due to age.

It would interesting to know how many Trainees are practicing full time.
Actually it is a decrease.

These are in-state appraisers. I don't have 2019 handy.

2020 3235

2018 3566

2017 3553

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Actually it is a decrease.

These are in-state appraisers. I don't have 2019 handy.

2020 3235

2018 3566

2017 3553

I agree. It would be great to know how many are working. I see that 3 adult children have joined their fathers as trainees in our county. I sent you the roster, hopw you got it.

sputnam

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Carolina
It's kind of interesting to look at the Pass/Fail rates for the exams. IMO, it's dismal. Seems that maybe we aren't doing a good job training new appraisers in overall principles and methods.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
It's kind of interesting to look at the Pass/Fail rates for the exams. IMO, it's dismal. Seems that maybe we aren't doing a good job training new appraisers in overall principles and methods.
I agree. I believe a significant number of trainees are working for relatives where the training is tainted by the dynamics of parent/trainee relationships. I know a handful where it the blind leading the blind. They took on the kid because could not find a job or they flunked out of college. It is a really tough job training someone. It is difficult process for both parties. Then you have a supervisor that wants cheap help for as long as possible or the trainee who is only concerned about “ how fast can I get my hours finished”. The perfect candidate would be a mature young person just out of college, living back with the folks who is committed to the 2-4 it will take before they can make any money. In my opinion this is no longer a great business for a retiree. Of course these are just my opinions and there are exceptions

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I agree. I believe a significant number of trainees are working for relatives where the training is tainted by the dynamics of parent/trainee relationships. I know a handful where it the blind leading the blind. They took on the kid because could not find a job or they flunked out of college. It is a really tough job training someone. It is difficult process for both parties. Then you have a supervisor that wants cheap help for as long as possible or the trainee who is only concerned about “ how fast can I get my hours finished”. The perfect candidate would be a mature young person just out of college, living back with the folks who is committed to the 2-4 it will take before they can make any money. In my opinion this is no longer a great business for a retiree. Of course these are just my opinions and there are exceptions

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
So far this year, roughly 1600 different appraisers have submitted reports for residential NC properties
Which suggests about half the appraisers there are not participating in secondary market appraising? How many are state employees, how many are CR and do not participate in the secondary market. Would be interesting numbers...

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Which suggests about half the appraisers there are not participating in secondary market appraising? How many are state employees, how many are CR and do not participate in the secondary market. Would be interesting numbers...
It would be interesting indeed. Lately I get calls from people wanting me to take an assignment about twice a week and I dropped appraisal work in 2013. There have been enough calls that I'm thinking of starting back up appraisal work in 2021.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks