• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Need Assistance On Cap Rate On Leashold Mh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Boggs

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Received an underwriting request regarding the value of the leasehold interest using a cap rate. Anyone know what cap rate to use and how to calculate it? This is an FHA reverse mortgage. All of my comps are leasehold estates. Thanks. Eric Cap rate instructions.jpg Thanks.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
As a practical matter and since this is a residential property the simplest approach to this will probably be sufficient.

You have comparables with the same property interest, most likely selling with similar rents. If you have sales data for the pads (only) or the structures (only) you can draw the relationship between their income and their sale prices from those sales. If you don't have such sales in your project you might be able to find some in other projects. If you don't have ANY single component sales then you'll have to use your improved Leasehold sales and work backwards.

Eric Boggs

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
As a practical matter and since this is a residential property the simplest approach to this will probably be sufficient.

You have comparables with the same property interest, most likely selling with similar rents. If you have sales data for the pads (only) or the structures (only) you can draw the relationship between their income and their sale prices from those sales. If you don't have such sales in your project you might be able to find some in other projects. If you don't have ANY single component sales then you'll have to use your improved Leasehold sales and work backwards.

Thanks Mr. Hatch. All of the comps were leasehold estate sales. The problem is that the subject property was purchased in 2013 and the the new lease rates (I am guessing) are higher than in 2013. I haven't done any research on that yet. Nearly all of the sales in the development are leasehold with some of the older units having their own land, which is pretty uncommon. This is a huge golf course oriented PUD MH park. No land sales or sales of just the MH structures were found. There are no other developments similar to this one unfortunately. So, what I am hearing you saying is doing an Extraction Method to get the value of the leasehold?

nstanbru

Professional Status
State
California
Are you saying there is a single land lease for the entire underlying site or are the individual MH owners paying rent for the lot they occupy?

Eric Boggs

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Are you saying there is a single land lease for the entire underlying site or are the individual MH owners paying rent for the lot they occupy?
No

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
123456789 Long day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks