• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

New Build

we corrected the CA information we had and whaddya-know...super tight to the SC approach.
haha - exactly my point. :)

But hey...you wanna drive a screw with a hammer...you do you.
I like to think of it more as using the tool most appropriate for the job - which, in residential appraisal is always going to be the SCA or the IA. But - I do appreciate you giving me the green light to go ahead and do what I was going to do anyway.

because I consider the CA to not be a valid approach to estimating market value
So, what textbook supports that assumption? I mean doesn't USPAP require you to "be aware of, understand, and correctly employ those recognized methods and techniques...."? Dismissing certain methods and techniques doesn't sound like that to me.

If there are no new builds of regular tract homes, a "custom" new build would seem like an over improvement to me...
And why does a market so small a developer does not want to build tract homes mean "custom" homes (which vary from cheap like my house to mansions) are not the norm for construction?

So, what textbook supports that assumption? I mean doesn't USPAP require you to "be aware of, understand, and correctly employ those recognized methods and techniques...."? Dismissing certain methods and techniques doesn't sound like that to me.
I'm painfully aware of the CA. In fact, I've done some quite extensive research into developing a meaningful method of estimating physical depreciation using curvilinear analysis for different TEL's (as we all know that improvements don't depreciate in a straight line manner - even though 90+% of appraisers use the age/life method for estimating depreciation (yet another failure in the CA). And, when forced by a client to employ the CA, I 'correctly employ those recognized methods and techniques.' I just believe the CA to be made up - kind of like the tooth fairy. :)

As an aside - want to share your method for estimating TEL?

1727386640349.png
Once you annualize the depreciation, the inverse is the total life. 2% = 50 years.

Since effective age varies, this number is only good the day of the value - or year if you will- just like cost varies, sales prices vary - etc. It's not fixed. Therefore, a house that is 80 years old and updated can have an effective age far below its actual age.

If you know the contribution of the improvements by subtracting out the site improvements and land, then you can determine the RCN and see what % of the building remains. You will always have to make an assumption, just as you do in the sales approach. So, it's a choice. Estimate by your observed effective age? Or, estimate by your total life estimate (from the cost book for instance.)

And why does a market so small a developer does not want to build tract homes mean "custom" homes (which vary from cheap like my house to mansions) are not the norm for construction?
Well..... it appears based on the op, that the area is devoid of any new construction. Even Big Box store material tract homes. Thus, a custom home, a property with more expensive, higher end, (excessive?) upgrades "for the area" or unusual customizations would have diminished returns.

I don't view custom homes to be cheap as you stated. Builder grade is the cheap stuff to me.

Either way, the op is going to have to comment on the contributory value in comparison to the typical construction homes. That it may be unusual for the area.

That's why I said "it seems" over improved based on the description.

I don't view custom homes to be cheap as you stated. Builder grade is the cheap stuff to me.
Most homes built in rural are "custom" in that they are built for the owner of the land, not by Horton or Lennar. My home was "custom" - 1,200 SF square house 2 bath 3 bed, with few embellishments. That's the norm. They are building a house for their needs. So, few of these rural homes are over-built. They are often pretty ordinary. Like these. They are unique and "custom" - hardly expensive homes.
1727391065696.png1727391179810.png1727391359426.png1727391480379.png

View attachment 91654
Once you annualize the depreciation, the inverse is the total life. 2% = 50 years.

Since effective age varies, this number is only good the day of the value - or year if you will- just like cost varies, sales prices vary - etc. It's not fixed. Therefore, a house that is 80 years old and updated can have an effective age far below its actual age.

If you know the contribution of the improvements by subtracting out the site improvements and land, then you can determine the RCN and see what % of the building remains. You will always have to make an assumption, just as you do in the sales approach. So, it's a choice. Estimate by your observed effective age? Or, estimate by your total life estimate (from the cost book for instance.)
So there are basically two methods for estimating TEL - the one you describe above (dividing 1 by the annualized depreciation) and pulling the TEL from a cost guide (M&S for instance). Any idea how close those two estimates are? IOW - lets say you annualize the depreciation and take the inverse. How well does the resulting TEL estimate line up with that reflected in the cost guides?

And - just guessing - how many folks do you think perform a TEL analysis every time they do a CA?

Corrected or manipulated it to fit?
Nope. We have a cost approach on everything as standard...it was pre-existing. The adjustment factors were all in place beforehand and we corrected some physical features based on the inspection. Post inspection SC was completed first. Factual CA corrections resulted in a nice tight grouping of values. I prefer to manipulate people not data thank you very much.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back