• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

New term for me . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Tiernan

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Michigan
Was looking up census for a small city in northern Michigan and the bottom of the page had a link to the Cadillac micropolitan area. I always refer to Cadillac as an urban area although the population is below 20,000 as this is the central hub for the area.

I thought this was a unique term, so I looked it up in Wikipedia. Here is a link for anyone else interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_micropolitan_area

It really does describe some of the unique characteristics of the area, and other urban areas in my coverage zone.

Interestingly, it does state population 10,000 to 49,999. I have another area which I refer to properties within the city limits as suburban - the city has less than 5,000 population, and although you could essentially live in this city without ever going to a metropolitan area, it is just not yet big enough for me to consider it an urban area. Properties outside of this city I refer to as rural.

Anyways, I like the term and the definition. Thought I'd share it with anyone else interested.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Cool, now I can confuse underwriters by using micropolitan in my reports.

murray stroupe

Professional Status
General Public
State
Tennessee
Re; What's in a name

Micropolitan does sound more cool & descriptive than metropolitan;
that's bigger than biggest city in our county.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
We made up a term to describe some of our markets that could not really be called suburban yet had some of those characteristics. RURBAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks