• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Fanous1120

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
New Jersey
Hi All, I have always been fascinated by real estate and always been looking for a way to get it. as soon as I found out about the appraiser job in the real estate process I knew that that's what I wanted to do. However, I got busy finishing college, getting a full time job and life got in the way. Now that things have settled a little, I am really looking into getting my General Appraisal License. Currently I am at the very early stages of the process, but upon doing some research on what it takes to get the license I realized that I'd have to be a trainee for a while and also complete a 3000 hrs of work in 6 months. I am hoping to do it part time along with my full time job. it'll be really hard to just be a trainee and raise a family on a trainee salary.
I am looking to be an appraiser in NJ. my question is, is it possible to do this whole process on the weekends or at least part time? I do not mind putting in a few hours here and there during the week, if it'll get it done, and the required of completing 3,000 hrs in 6 months. anyway to get around that or get it done part time?.. I really want to do this and I am committed to it, but it'll be tough to leave my full time job and do this particularly living on the trainee salary, and not getting a good volume of jobs in the first few years.

please share any advice or insight you might have on doing this part time in NJ.

Thank you.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
and also complete a 3000 hrs of work in 6 months.
Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think it's possible to do 3,000 hours in 6 months, especially part time

Yes, you could earn your CG (Certified General) doing it part time. It would be difficult, but it is possible.

What kind of a firm are you with now? Is your mentor/supervisor a CG?

Best of luck and Welcome to the Forum! :beer:

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
required of completing 3,000 hrs in 6 months.
That is not the requirement. I think it is 3,000 hours in no less than two years so yes you can do it part time. You are not going to find many CG appraisers who do a lot of weekend work.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
in no less than two years
That's what I thought, too, MCG, but I haven't kept up with the latest requirements since I don't have a trainee.

When I was going through my trainee time (2006-2008) it was a minimum of 24 months and a month didn't count unless you had at LEAST 1 log entry

Fanous1120

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
New Jersey
Hey all, thanks for replying. I think I made a mistake in my original post. the current requirements are 3,000 hrs in 18 months, which is about 40 hrs a week, pretty much work full time for 3 months for close to no pay. so is it possible to do it part time? can I work under an individual? I do not want to leave my full time job for 18 months. I'm sure you all understand bills and family.

Ed Falkowski MAI SRA

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
The requirements for a CG are 3,000 hours in no fewer than 18 months. It use to be 30 months. Be careful... I don't think that all state boards have adopted this change. Be sure to check with your state board.

To the OP, while I (and we) understand the issues surrounding a home life, current employment and general "life requirements", I think that it would be very, very difficult to pursue CG licensing as a weekend thing or a couple hours here/there. There is just too much to learn and too much to do to be able to gain the necessary hours. Also, remember this - the 3,000 hour requirement is the AF's (not the Appraisers Forum, FYI :)) requirement for being minimally competent. To me, given the number of commercial property types, their finer nuances, different markets... I'd say that it would be a five-year minimum before you're really starting to kick it into high gear (some may be more, some may be less). That's just my $0.02.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
I takes 5-7 years of experience to become self-sufficient on the technical basis. You can get your license in less time but the scope of practice for a CG is so much wider than for the residential appraisers that it takes a lot longer to get up to speed.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
the current requirements are 3,000 hrs in 18 months,..............
3,000 hours in not LESS THAN 18 months. I was a "trainee" for about 5 years before I applied for a license.

I think that it would be very, very difficult to pursue CG licensing as a weekend thing or a couple hours here/there.
I agree. I think most CG appraisers who only do commercial work (the majority of CG appraisers do a mix of Res and Comm or no Comm at all) work pretty much Monday through Friday.

..........I'd say that it would be a five-year minimum before you're really starting to kick it into high gear...........
Again, I agree, and that would be five years of FULL time employment. There are so many types of commercial work and accepted ways to do that work. I remember an instance of a CG getting a fine for not using REVPAR in a motel report; the appraiser had no idea what it was (a case of you do not know what you do not know).

I takes 5-7 years of experience to become self-sufficient on the technical basis.
Agreed.

Fanous1120

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
New Jersey
3,000 hours in not LESS THAN 18 months. I was a "trainee" for about 5 years before I applied for a license.

I agree. I think most CG appraisers who only do commercial work (the majority of CG appraisers do a mix of Res and Comm or no Comm at all) work pretty much Monday through Friday.

Again, I agree, and that would be five years of FULL time employment. There are so many types of commercial work and accepted ways to do that work. I remember an instance of a CG getting a fine for not using REVPAR in a motel report; the appraiser had no idea what it was (a case of you do not know what you do not know).

Agreed.
That's very helpful. do you think going for the residential is easier? and if it is, how many hours are required and in what time period (I can do the research online, but having answers from all of you experienced folks is really helpful). also you being a CG appraiser, how much of your work is commercial and how much is residential? or do you only do commercial?

I am guessing people go for CG appraiser because the commercial work is more profitable?... sorry if my questions are very basic, I am very new to all of this but I really find it very interesting. Thanks!

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
That's very helpful. do you think going for the residential is easier? and if it is, how many hours are required and in what time period (I can do the research online, but having answers from all of you experienced folks is really helpful). also you being a CG appraiser, how much of your work is commercial and how much is residential? or do you only do commercial?

I am guessing people go for CG appraiser because the commercial work is more profitable?... sorry if my questions are very basic, I am very new to all of this but I really find it very interesting. Thanks!

Have you done any commercial appraisals?
If you have did you like it?

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks