• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

No Cheap Inventory. Sales Falter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
There is no answer for affordable homes in good locations. You can only get affordability by sacrificing location. Gotta go where land is cheaper.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Reminds me of the run up to the 2008 housing crash. People who bought at the peak and needed to sell, couldn't. Defaults were rising. When the stock market crashed, that was the start of big layoffs.

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Personally, I think the housing bubble and crash was 80% result of the no doc loans. We do not have that anymore. I really see no reason for any concern with housing as of today.

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Stated income and stated assets at 100% financing is just a insane thing to do and that's what they did.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
There is no answer for affordable homes in good locations. You can only get affordability by sacrificing location. Gotta go where land is cheaper.
Part of the problem is that land use restrictions have artificially severely reduced the amount of available land for development in many jurisdictions, creating a shortage and severely driving up the price of housing in those jurisdictions. This problem is particularly acute in some areas of California, but is also a big issue in many other areas (such as Montgomery County, MD where you live).

Last edited:

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I am in an area of 0% population growth, if not negative. So if someone can explain the lack of inventory and under 30 days DOM I'm all ears. I thought millions of Hispanics fled to their homes of origin which would logically create a large vacancy issue and we have a substantial Hispanic population. There are no new jobs or industry locally but there are no available houses, new or existing and new construction has returned after several years of little to none. Negative population growth and inventory shortages and under 30 DOM after years of unsustainibly low interest rates. What Happened/changed? Trump? Bueller?

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
The low inventory situation here would be even more strained if the prospective buyers were all competing effectively. Quite a few listings under contract are returned to market because the buyer's financing falls through and they cannot perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks