• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Not An FHA Requirement!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC Appraising

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Assignment: FHA refinance on a existing home. As-is no conditions or repairs.

It appears that these STUPID requirements are coming from California lenders mostly. None of my local lenders require this. Does anyone know how this all started? I have one AMC that sends me EVERY state and Every County CODE requirements for carbon and smoke detectors!!!!! Insane. Is it a law that the mortgage company is required to verify this?

3 day's ago:

per lender (from AMC)-

Yes the report is “as is” but the appraiser commented that there are no CO2 detector nor a smoke alarm installed at the home. With that said the appraiser needs to correct that section of the report in order for the appraisal to be acceptable per FHA guidelines.

From FHA:

Dear sadflasfjasd,

Thank you for contacting the FHA Resource Center. The information you requested in response to the above referenced service request number is provided below.

If the information does not fully address your question, please forward this email (do not reply) to [email protected], and provide additional information so that we may better serve you. You may also speak directly to a customer service representative by calling 1-800-CALL-FHA (1-800-225-5342) or visit our online knowledge base at www.HUD.gov/answers, 24 hours/7 days a week.

Your question was regarding Appraisal Question.

FHA requires neither smoke detectors nor carbon monoxide detectors. You certainly can recommend that they be installed, but it is not a requirement. This is more of a local code violation, but again is not an FHA requirement.

Sincerely,

FHA Customer Service Team

timd354

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Assignment: FHA refinance on a existing home. As-is no conditions or repairs.

It appears that these STUPID requirements are coming from California lenders mostly. None of my local lenders require this. Does anyone know how this all started? I have one AMC that sends me EVERY state and Every County CODE requirements for carbon and smoke detectors!!!!! Insane. Is it a law that the mortgage company is required to verify this?

3 day's ago:

per lender (from AMC)-

Yes the report is “as is” but the appraiser commented that there are no CO2 detector nor a smoke alarm installed at the home. With that said the appraiser needs to correct that section of the report in order for the appraisal to be acceptable per FHA guidelines.

From FHA:

Dear sadflasfjasd,

Thank you for contacting the FHA Resource Center. The information you requested in response to the above referenced service request number is provided below.

If the information does not fully address your question, please forward this email (do not reply) to [email protected], and provide additional information so that we may better serve you. You may also speak directly to a customer service representative by calling 1-800-CALL-FHA (1-800-225-5342) or visit our online knowledge base at www.HUD.gov/answers, 24 hours/7 days a week.

Your question was regarding Appraisal Question.

FHA requires neither smoke detectors nor carbon monoxide detectors. You certainly can recommend that they be installed, but it is not a requirement. This is more of a local code violation, but again is not an FHA requirement.

Sincerely,

FHA Customer Service Team
If the lender has that as additional requirement, I would not fight it as it is an easy additional $150 for a final inspection

Pittsburgh Pete

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Sorry, didn't think you'd eschew a common sense reply.

NC Appraising

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
If the lender has that as additional requirement, I would not fight it as it is an easy additional $150 for a final inspection
Thanks for responding. Since you are in the know how, who started this? Chase, BOA, Wells, PMI insurer?

As for the additional requirement, read the response from the lender: appraiser needs to correct that section of the report in order for the appraisal to be acceptable per FHA guidelines.

That is my issue. They state it is a FHA guideline. Lenders have all sort of additional stupid requirements....yes, if I accept the assignment and lender requires the appraiser to check for smoke and CO detectors, so be it. Just do not say that it is a FHA requirement.

After the owner complained, the lender sent the borrower a copy of the counties code requirements for a smoke and carbon detector.

NC Appraising

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Sorry, didn't think you'd eschew a common sense reply.
Smackey……..READ THE POST!!!

Lender:
appraiser needs to correct that section of the report in order for the appraisal to be acceptable per FHA guidelines.

FHA:
No it is not.

Where does it say in my post or THE NAME OF THE THREAD that it is a LENDER requirement.

Pittsburgh Pete

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
So tell them it's not an FHA requirement--dollars to donuts that they'll still want it.

Pittsburgh Pete

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
S

Where does it say in my post or THE NAME OF THE THREAD that it is a LENDER requirement.
"It appears that these STUPID requirements are coming from California lenders mostly."

Can't imagine where I got that idea! My apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks