• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Now What? Trainee To Certified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heathman914

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
It was a long road to get here but I finally became Certified last month after passing the exam on the first attempt! This took me a lot longer than originally anticipated for various reasons including:

1. Working under a certified that wouldn’t sign my log but did a great job of leading me on for years.
2. Forced to go back to college to get a bachelor’s degree to satisfy the updated education requirements.

I feel like it’s time for me to retire and I haven’t even started yet!

In any case, I was hoping I could get some advice/opinions from anyone who has been in the business. Currently I work for an independent 3-man firm. We aren’t as busy as I would like and there is limited room for advancement. I guess some of my options would be to start my own firm, staff appraising, or look for another firm to work with. I have been in real estate for 10+ years. Any advice or a point in the right direction for someone who just became certified would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Find another firm to work with along with the one where you're currently working. The appraisal institute has listings of firms looking for independent contractors. I found a few this way. Getting your own clients isn't easy so this will fill in the gap while you build your own client base. Good luck and congratulations!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! Apply to as many clients as possible, you never know where the work will come from. Perhaps consider joining the Appraisal Institute and taking courses toward the SRA, as the contacts to further business might be worth it. A cert gen long term is another option. A bit slow out there now but should pick up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back