• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Other Valuation Services

Ranch Hand

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I have been contacted by a home owner that is being sued for building a cabin in violation of an easement that is obstructing his neighbor’s lake view. The homeowner has asked me to speak with his attorney on the phone to answer questions. This is a cold call and I have had nothing to do with this situation/homeowner. I just happen to be an appraiser with geographical competence. What should a say and what should I do?

I have been contacted by a home owner that is being sued for building a cabin in violation of an easement that is obstructing his neighbor’s lake view. The homeowner has asked me to speak with his attorney on the phone to answer questions. This is a cold call and I have had nothing to do with this situation/homeowner. I just happen to be an appraiser with geographical competence. What should a say and what should I do?
Offhand, I'd suggest an engagement letter and agreement from the owner that you will bill X $ as a flat fee or by time increments for your phone call with the attorney, as well as for for the time spent gathering Infomation about the property so you know what you are talking about.

Offhand, I'd suggest an engagement letter and agreement from the owner that you will bill X $ as a flat fee or by time increments for your phone call with the attorney, as well as for for the time spent gathering Infomation about the property so you know what you are talking about.
I saw several private appraisal reports' engagement letter said $500 / hour for court testimony or conference meeting with the attorney, 4 hours min charge.

George Dell's course on adjustments deals with how he deals with San Diego view adjustments, so that is a good start. I once had a situation where 10 HOs hired a landscaper cut down a row of pine trees to 'protect' their ocean views, but it was on land they didn't own. If your familiar with making view adjustments then you probably have a basis for accepting the assignment. But determine if its something you can quantify with market data (ie., a view is worth $X compared to a non-view property in the neighborhood) and apply it to the subject property.

I have been contacted by a home owner that is being sued for building a cabin in violation of an easement that is obstructing his neighbor’s lake view.
So this home owner is guilty. Maybe they are figuring a payoff to the aggrieved viewer's lose. Seems like a way to also get sued by an unhappy loser who hired you, or not pay you. Without charging, my question is what are you looking for, then i decide fee and should i do it. Get paid in advance.

I have been contacted by a home owner that is being sued for building a cabin in violation of an easement that is obstructing his neighbor’s lake view.
My bold.

My first thought is, how did the homeowner get so far as to actually build the cabin without it being stopped?

My second thought is, why would you side up with somebody who's in violation of building on an easement?

Lastly, what is the purpose of contacting you? What is the problem to be solved valuation wise? I mean, aside from talking with his attorney (for free I might add).

Thus far, from what you describe in the op, I don't see coming out of this situation smelling like a rose.

That is deep. What if they have to tear it down?

They need a lawyer before they hire you.

That is deep. What if they have to tear it down?
But that's not for the appraiser to decide. The OP has to identify the appraisal problem.
They need a lawyer before they hire you.
They maybe putting the cart before the horse out of desperation....

“To speak with his attorney and answer questions.”

Um, no. That is like a General telling troops to, “go into battle and do something “. You need to interview your client, get all the details, know what he wants from you and have a scope of work..

Then, work out what you want to tell the attorney and work out a fee.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back