• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Predatory Lenders' Partner in Crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

moh malekpour

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Sorry if this article sounds a little political and I hate to post a political article but it is written by governor of New York, Eliot Spitzer. You make your own judgment

How the Bush Administration Stopped the States From Stepping In to Help Consumers
Several years ago, state attorneys general and others involved in consumer protection began to notice a marked increase in a range of predatory lending practices by mortgage lenders. Some were misrepresenting the terms of loans, making loans without regard to consumers' ability to repay, making loans with deceptive "teaser" rates that later ballooned astronomically, packing loans with undisclosed charges and fees, or even paying illegal kickbacks. These and other practices, we noticed, were having a devastating effect on home buyers. In addition, the widespread nature of these practices, if left unchecked, threatened our financial markets.

Even though predatory lending was becoming a national problem, the Bush administration looked the other way and did nothing to protect American homeowners. In fact, the government chose instead to align itself with the banks that were victimizing consumers.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Wish I could say I'm surprised. I don't believe he acted alone... in fact, I'll bet there were quite a few that pushed and prodded him into that stance.

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
BUT as with most things this started prior to the Bush Administration. Just like Regan Trickle down Economics it takes a long time to see how things go. I believe some scandal was aroused about a place in AK long before Bush got in. was Bush part of the problem YES but no more so than others before him & The next one in will NOT, even IF they can come up with a solution see the results while they are in office. I'm not a rwal religous type guy BUT I think this problem needs something much more poweerful than our government to fix it.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
All you need to do is look at the http://appraiserspetition.com/ that was started in 1998 or 1999 to see when this mess was getting on a roll.

I wish I could find a way to believe that our legislators in Washington weren't crooked in order to get into their positions.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
Those with the money make the rules.

Our government is a government of special interests.

Consumers get relief when the cry is much too loud to ignore.

This situation is not specific to one of the two major parties more than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks