• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Question About Ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Merrill

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Utah
What is the consensus among appraisers concerning ethical behavior relating to non-appraisal business activities? Would an appraiser involved in unethical behavior unrelated to appraising still be considered a member of the profession in good standing?

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
What is the consensus among appraisers concerning ethical behavior relating to non-appraisal business activities? Would an appraiser involved in unethical behavior unrelated to appraising still be considered a member of the profession in good standing?
It depends on the scenario and also may depend on the appraiser licensing laws in the state where the appraiser is licensed/certified. Exactly what type of unethical behavior are you tallking about?

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
If their behavior in another area of their life did not impact their skill as an appraiser, or affect their ethics when in capacity as appraiser, I assume they could remain in good standing...why do you ask? If their unethical
behavior in another area of their life crossed over into criminal action, perhaps not.

I do believe ethics are not an all or nothing thing...some people can behave ethically in their profession, but not at home...spouse abuser or child abuser might be a top professional, for example

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
Appraisers do work for big banksters. It is all good.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
"The Profession" is far to large a group to apply this to.. The license/certification standards barely mention ethics. USPAP uses 3 whole pages to cover ethics.

I could post at least a dozen examples of state appraisal board members being dishonest and unetical in their actions both inside and outside of appraisal practice. The same goes for leaders of some of the appraiser organizations. Crap rolls downhill and yes there are a significant number of appraisers who live a dishonest and unethical life always going to lead an amoral life no matter what.

Sadly I have seen too many times where issues have been covered up by appraisal organizations to keep from having their reputation tarnished.

I do not know of any appraisal group organization or state board who has figured out how to keep their members from being dishonest, unethical or engaging in criminal behavior.

You might think that appraisers become more honest and ethical as they move from the great pool of appraisers to state organizations, then to national organization and on to governmental organizations. Sad to say....that is not how it works.

Last edited:

chad hampton

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Different people have different ethics. What you consider unethical in your private live, I may have no problem with.

You'd have to be more specific in your example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks