• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Realtors & Disclosing Contract Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakeboeger

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Why are realtors so hesitant to disclose the contract price of a pending sale? This has always been extremely frustrating for me. About half the realtors I talk to will tell me & the other half wont!

For example, the other day I called the listing agent & the selling agent for a property in Antioch, CA. I spoke to the selling agent first & he gave me the contract price. When the listing agent called me back she said she could not disclose anything.

WTF!!

Zmcraney

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Mississippi
stupidity, not knowing what they're doing, general incompetence

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Actually, until it's closed, it is confidential information that the agents really should not be disclosing.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Why are realtors so hesitant to disclose the contract price of a pending sale? This has always been extremely frustrating for me. About half the realtors I talk to will tell me & the other half wont!

For example, the other day I called the listing agent & the selling agent for a property in Antioch, CA. I spoke to the selling agent first & he gave me the contract price. When the listing agent called me back she said she could not disclose anything.

WTF!!

She is right. If she calls you and asks, will you tell her what a property appraised for?

These are confidentiality issues. This was coverd onanother thread this week.

jakeboeger

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Actually, until it's closed, it is confidential information that the agents really should not be disclosing.

Do you have any documentation to support that?

I have both CAR's "Disclosure regarding Real Estate Agancy Relationships" & "Residential Listing Agreement - Agency" forms in front of me & I dont see anything that would prevent such disclosures.

She is right. If she calls you and asks, will you tell her what a property appraised for?

No. I would also gladly refer her to the section of USPAP that prevents me from telling her.

Last edited:

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Standard of Practice 1-9

The obligation of REALTORS® to preserve confidential information (as defined by state law) provided by their clients in the course of any agency relationship or non-agency relationship recognized by law continues after termination of agency relationships or any non-agency relationships recognized by law. REALTORS® shall not knowingly, during or following the termination of professional relationships with their clients:

reveal confidential information of clients; or

use confidential information of clients to the disadvantage of clients; or

use confidential information of clients for the REALTOR®’s advantage or the advantage of third parties unless:

clients consent after full disclosure; or

REALTORS® are required by court order; or

it is the intention of a client to commit a crime and the information is necessary to prevent the crime; or

it is necessary to defend a REALTOR® or the REALTOR®’s employees or associates against an accusation of wrongful conduct.

Information concerning latent material defects is not considered confidential information under this Code of Ethics. (Adopted 1/93, Amended 1/01)

hglenbetts

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Yah, what Compliant said....:unsure:

Why are realtors so hesitant to disclose the contract price of a pending sale? This has always been extremely frustrating for me. About half the realtors I talk to will tell me & the other half wont! WTF!!

Fiduciary responsibility to the seller. If that deals fails, you have disclosed to the world the client's theoretical bottom line. Providing the PA to the lender, who provides it to the appraiser, has maintained a level of confidentiality.

Regarding the copy of PA problem:
Personally, before becoming an appraiser, the LO's appraiser would contact my office for access, I would confirm the order with the LO then not only would I show up at the subject with a clean copy of the PA (who can read those re-faxed copies anyway) I'd have a hand full of "comps" for the appraiser. You know those 2 year old sales in the next town, plus three active listings.:new_smile-l:

Last edited:

Zmcraney

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Mississippi
stupidity, not knowing what they're doing, general incompetence

I am humbled once again. I had to go back and read the Realtor Code of Ethics to make sure.

Francois K. Gregoire

Professional Status
State
Florida
Standard of Practice 1-9

The obligation of REALTORS® to preserve confidential information (as defined by state law) provided by their clients in the course of any agency relationship or non-agency relationship recognized by law continues after termination of agency relationships or any non-agency relationships recognized by law. REALTORS® shall not knowingly, during or following the termination of professional relationships with their clients:

reveal confidential information of clients; or

use confidential information of clients to the disadvantage of clients; or

use confidential information of clients for the REALTOR®’s advantage or the advantage of third parties unless:

clients consent after full disclosure; or

REALTORS® are required by court order; or

it is the intention of a client to commit a crime and the information is necessary to prevent the crime; or

it is necessary to defend a REALTOR® or the REALTOR®’s employees or associates against an accusation of wrongful conduct.

Information concerning latent material defects is not considered confidential information under this Code of Ethics. (Adopted 1/93, Amended 1/01)

Nice to see you back Bob.

This particular standard of practice was the basis of a presentation made during the 2007 Appraisal Institute Washington Summit. In preparation, I interviewed the Deputy General Counsel for NAR and the attorney that works with the NAR Professional Standards Committee.

Both pointed out that the "confidential information" referred to in the standard of practice is that "defined by state law". Although I have not done an exhaustive study of various state real estate licensing statutes, most that I have examined determine some information to be confidential during the professional relationship between the client and the agent.

Neither NAR attorney was aware of a state law that specifically defined what might be confidential information AFTER the professional relationship was terminated. Oregon may have done this since then. The attorney's aim in making that point was to emphasize that the NAR Code of Ethics DOES NOT prohibit a REALTOR from disclosing information after the sale closed (terms of sale, concessions, etc.) unless that information is specifically defined as "confidential" by state law.

Copies of my Power Point available upon request.

Email me via my profile on this site.

Happy New Year!

jakeboeger

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Wow, so I guess a 50% response rate is pretty good!

So what advice can you give me for finding the contract price of a property? I dont want to ask Realtors to compromise their strict code of ethics.

In my area properties are typically selling anywhere from 1-10% below asking. Contract prices are crucial since the last listing price before a property goes pending is pretty much useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks