• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Received Complaint From State Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlos Danger

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Has the Board requested your work file?

D

Deleted member 128537

I had the same thing happen to me a three years ago when a seller was angry at me for appraising a house "too low." In their case they had to negotiate down $50,000.
1) contact your E&O provider. They will give you legal assistance.
2) send in your work file if requested from the state board. Make sure all your "ducks" are in a row on your work file.
3) These types of complaints generally go nowhere.

In my case the thing was dropped almost the day I sent in my work file. I don't see how the board even had a chance to look at it.

Nevertheless it does ruin your day, makes you angry, and very nervous about doing work. So I know something of what you are going through.

Believe me it will cost the person far more to take you to court than what it is worth. The likelihood of her winning based upon what you have said are slim to none and slim left town.

Last edited by a moderator:

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Connecticut
She never lost $21,000 and under pricing or overpricing a listing is done all the time--in fact some agents use under-pricing as a strategy to get bidding wars going and often get the sellers a higher price. Sounds like this person is just another wack-job. And no she is not suing anyone because she has not suffered any damages and the attorney fee's would eat her up real fast.
It was a joke. You're not the only one with a broker's license.

BarbaraNJ

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
I've been "investigated" twice. (No charges both times) Both times were in the very early days of licensing, before the State Board learned to separate the homeowner B.S. from valid appraisal practice. My best advice is to consult a local attorney who will correspond with the Board via letter. The Board (speaking of NJ only) sometimes bullies appraisers but won't say sh*t to a lawyer (possibly out of fear of being sued). And yes, you can notify or use E&O, but it won't be cheap. Just like car insurance, every claim will increase your premium for years to come.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
yes. went to board, appraisal good-went thru AMC- DURING PROCESS, came back ROV , 4 comparables supplied by realtor
all superior (of course) answered all , kept my value. posted on addendum principle of sub.. explanation in OAR
c4 condition 1600 sq ft home, deal is closed . i just checked, and she closed it at my appraised value.
she is pissed she lost 21k
re-write this without abbreviations and save it on your desktop in pdf and print and retain hard copy in your work file. - it will be your written reply to the Board should you receive a letter of Inquiry/Possible Violation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks