• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

record keeping USPAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wil in Norcal

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I think I made a big mistake. I was switching computers in my office and got busy and never backed up my data. My hard drive of course crashed. Long story short I seem to have lost about 3 months of reports from about a year and a half ago. I still have my work files, but I do not have a copy of the reports. I recently passed my AR exam here in Ca and when I got my letter requesting the work samples I about died. Of course they are from the files I am missing. I called and asked could I submit something else, anything besides from 1/07 through 3/07. I have tried to recover the data and was able to get somethings but I just cant get those files. Any advice or warnings? I am awaiting a response from OREA, but I would appreciate any input besides you should have done a better job backing up your files. :shrug:

Thanks

Jalexi

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
have you tried any Hard Disk Data Recovery Service providers?

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I feel for you because I have had my hard drive crash before I ran the backup losing about one month of data.

Even though the drive is not readable under an operating system, it still has lots of data on it. I would contact a computer shop that specializes in data recovery from blown drives. They exist.

Lost Cause

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
Things may be different in CA from here in NY, but from what I've seen, when the Appraisal Board performs an experience audit and asks for work from a certain period, they will be pretty inflexible about it. I believe that requests to substitute work from another period looks suspicious to them.

Randolph's suggestion on data recovery might be effective.

Good luck!

Wil in Norcal

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
yeah, I had a company go through my hard drive already was able to save a lot, but that file was found to be corrrupt. If I lose my files does that put me in violation of USPAP? I have files before and after that date? If I am in violation what happens next? I am backed up now of course

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
suggest sending a LETTER from the HD RETRIEVAL COMPANY to the Board - they may cut you some slack...(worth a shot)....and referring those last questions to them.

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
Unfortunately it looks like any advise I give is after the fact type of stuff.

As soon as data is known to be lost you should contact the state with the dates of the files that are lost. Losses happen from fire, flood, etc., and once they are reported you're okay, but I don't know about after the fact losses.

Also, using an offsite backup system where the computer is pre-programmed to upload any changes at like 2 AM is a smart investment. Total offers "The Vault", which I use, but it is expensive. There are over on line services. I hear Carbonite is a good one, is a flat fee, and is much more affordable, but I don't know first hand.

http://free-backup.info/online-backup-websites.html

Wil in Norcal

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
Good Idea thanks Mike

Wil in Norcal

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
i use carbonite

Wil in Norcal

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
Whew, just spoke to my data recovery guys, and they did recover the files, but somehow, it did not get put back on my new computer, so all I have to do is load them on to the new computer. Already called OREA. And the moral of the storyn is to always back up. TGIF!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks