• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Reflections On The First Year As A Trainee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coleman

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
South Carolina
As the year comes to an end so does my first year as an appraiser trainee. Here are a few things I have learned so far:

1. Always second guess your mentor. If you are given advice or an explanation, always research as much as you can on the topic. Don't just assume your mentor is right. You must assess whether or not s/he is capable of training you and leading you down the path of professionalism. There are too many bad appraisers out there training newbies to do the very same thing they are doing.

2. Don't expect to make much money, or any at all. Money is not the objective of your trainee period. It is important to think of it as an education much like college or graduate school. Many people have to work their way through college, you may have to work your way through appraisal training. Thankfully, there is a food and beverage industry that just happens to operate during non-traditional business hours.

3.Read all of the archived posts on this forum as topics and questions arise in your studies and practice. The wealth of knowledge here is priceless.

4. Your mentor may be too old to be appraising if any of the following occur: they run red lights at busy intersections without being aware of it endangering your life and others'; If a client calls the office and you cannot by any measure wake them so they can take the call (no he is not dead he is snoring too loudly for a dead guy); If you are constantly witness to near hip shattering falls; If they say I am diabetic so my wife doesnt let me eat this at home while driving and consuming massive amounts of sugar.

5. A bad mentor does not separate valuation and religion. Just because a homeowner happens to hold your like philosophical ideals it doesnt mean that they deserve to get a deal made even if it breaks the rules. You should not have to wait by the front door of the house for 45 minutes while your mentor and the homeowner have a "prayer meeting". Furthermore, you should not be subjected to gospel music playing so loudly in the office that you cannot write a report. No, your mentor should not be offended to the point of crying when s/he finds out that you not be of the same ideological convictions as you.

6. Avoid the trainee 15. That being the amount of weight you put on after riding around in a car all day stuffing your face with the worst fast-food you can find because your mentor only eats McDonald's. Pack your lunch!! Mentors: When you offer to buy your trainee lunch, don't take them to captain d's, some of us try to maintain our bodies.

7. Don't wait until your license upgrade to fill out your appraisal log.

8. If you missed the road you are looking for and have to turn around, 9 times out of 10, the car behind you is going to turn into your chosen turn around spot as well causing you to drive even further out of your way.

9. If a police officer asks why your eyes are bloodshot, they are probably not going to believe that you have just spent 12 hours staring at a grid trying to extract information pertinent to valuation services.

10. Measuring 1.5 story houses with vaults and dormers takes some practice.

11. Alligators like to sun themselves in yards of home owner's that need appraisals.

icisic7

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
This really needs to be made a sticky, so it stays at the top for all newbies to see!

Very wise words, Coleman!!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
Very good Coleman.

You could expand comment #8. It seems no matter how isolated the road is when looking for your comps, it could be a road that hasn't seen a car for weeks, when you slow down to find your comp and shoot the picture there will be a car two inches from your rear bumper with some irate driver calling you names LO's wouldn't even think of.

DonRico

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
12. The assignment that requires the most driving is scheduled on the worst weather day of the week.

13. Another one that never fails.....as soon as you plan a vacation week, the previously silent phone will start ringing off the hook.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Coleman,

If the appraisal board Gods in Columbia approve me to offer the 7 Hour USPAP Update .....you get a free class except for the cost of the manual.

Laughing Heir

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
#7 - Guilty. That took forever...and a day.

JJohnson1985

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Ohio
13. Another one that never fails.....as soon as you plan a vacation week, the previously silent phone will start ringing off the hook.

This is true in every job I've had. :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :icon_question:

Coleman

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
South Carolina
Ed Coleman and the Crew in Columbia

Coleman,

If the appraisal board Gods in Columbia approve me to offer the 7 Hour USPAP Update .....you get a free class except for the cost of the manual.

Don't think I won't take you up on that offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks