• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Regression for GLA Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJAPRAZE

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
anyone use single / linear regression analysis for determining GLA adjustment (after netting out site and then using cost/sf as the independent variable)?
thoughts on reliability and process?

anyone use single / linear regression analysis for determining GLA adjustment (after netting out site and then using cost/sf as the independent variable)?
thoughts on reliability and process?
The idea is that after all other adjustments are made (when the only difference is GLA) it's a fairly simple modified matched pair analysis.
On the x-axis is GLA, with ASP (adjusted sale price) on the y-axis.

1687786401950.png

1687786422500.png

I just extract riht ghere on the grid for all other features and whatever is left is the $ pers sf contrcutoiry value, I might modify it to narrow the value range/ relate it more in sync with a relationship to depreciated cost. It is simpler and more direct that way, and replicates what the market is returning -idk why regression has to be done to get there.

The contributory value of sf is different than the price divided by a GLA sf ( including then the lot value is subtracted out )

I generally don't isolate the GLA as a single variate analysis. There are too many other variables that are statistically significant (for most data sets) to elicit meaningful results from a single variate analysis - at least in my market.

I generally don't isolate the GLA as a single variate analysis. There are too many other variables that are statistically significant (for most data sets) to elicit meaningful results from a single variate analysis - at least in my market.

If you don't isolate the GLA, then how do you know if it is commanding a premium or not?

Any meaningful difference in GLA sf is not a statistical "variable" , it is a key value driver of a property - and adjusted for in nearly all appraisals I've seen.

If you don't isolate the GLA, then how do you know if it is commanding a premium or not?

Any meaningful difference in GLA sf is not a statistical "variable" , it is a key value driver of a property - and adjusted for in nearly all appraisals I've seen.
Either you don't understand statistics, you just want to start a fight, or you aren't taking time to read the post.

I never said I didn't account for GLA as ONE OF the independent variables in a multi-variate analysis. What I said was that I generally don't isolate GLA as a SINGLE VARIATE analysis.

Continue on with your blather.

I rarely use a single method for determining an adjustment. Regression is a useful tool but, it's not the be all and end all of data analysis. There are at least 30 methods for extracting market reaction. The 'best' ones for any particular adjustment depend on the quantity and quality of the data that's available to you.

I also mostly use sensitivity analysis, sometimes with expanded datasets when necessary. It's easy to explain and easy for the readers to understand, which that's who I'm writing reports for. If I'm lucky enough to score a matched pair in there somewhere (occasionally happens in the prior sales history) then that's additional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back