• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

REO sales and "Market Value"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
It confuses me to think I could come in at $170k and then go back a week after they move in and come in at $190k. Was I not suppose to be appraising "market value" in both instances?

Well, appears you did not understand the purpose of appraisal...A MV purpose of appraisal is the same purpose appraisal whether the subject is owned by a lender, or a private party. The MV definition does not discrminate or instructor to discriminate or change the methodlolgy of developing value according to who owns the subject.

That would mean you under-appraised it the first time....

It is unkown if the OP under appraised it the first time, but they misunderstood the assignment the first time.

This notion of Market Value varies within the eyes of the beholder and that the METHOD or terms of sale changes the definitoin of MV like George suggests is nonsense...

I don't think that is what George suggested. He stated the market changes, and market conditions change, not that the definition of MV changes.

The price of Oranges has a retail price and a wholesale price that is based on local market condition.

There is no correlation in comparing oranges, or any retail consumer goods to houses / property and the way people buy and sell property.

A bank is never a "typical" seller.

The MV def does not exclude banks as a seller. When a bank become a seller, and their actions are representative of enough sellers in a market area, their actions become "typical" for that segment of the market. Banks are pretty predictable and easy to read as sellers, and their patterns are more uniform and "typical", then the actions of private party owners.

Private parties , who may seem "typical", are actually a diverse group whose motivations are all over the place, from desperate/distress to holding out 5 years to get the highest price .

A bank may or may not get a price that is proxy
of MV, but it still does not nor ever will meet the definition used by Fannie Mae.

The Appraisal foundation says otherwise, ...as well as Fannie in their own adivosry letter on use of REO sales (which are acceptable to them)

Graaskamp saw the problem decades ago and suggested that appraisers should be responsible for reporting the "Most Probable Price" which would allow the appraiser to basically ignore the motivations of buyers and sellers and try to determine what the most likely price would be in the circumstance of the sale.

I agree with above, the MV def could be improved on and the motivations broadened to allow for any motivations that is represented by enough particpants in a market area to form a credible trend.

Last edited:
The Appraisal foundation and AI advisory says otherwise, that a REO sale ( call it distress sale if you wish, but technically, it is an REO sale), can be used as a comp for a mv def purpose appraisal.

No, it doesn't. :nono:
I stated that OREOs could be used under certain conditions ...
the AI stated that REOs could be used under certain conditions ...

The conditions stated by BOTH me and the AI state that when including REOs (under FIRREA Def of Market Value) the REOs must be analyzed, commented on *AND* appropriately adjusted.

So, how and where did they say otherwise?
From Guidenote 11: "More likely, comps that sold under different conditions than stated in the value definition must be used and then adjusted as necessary and appropriate.
Appraisers must be careful to identify when sales are occurring at market value, disposition value or liquidation value. Even when the only sales occurring are distressed sales, they do not represent market value if they do not meet the conditions of the definition of market value."

Please JGrant, read that last bolded sentence again, then a few more times. It is straight from the AI. Distressed sales do not represent market value if THEY do not meet the conditions of the definition of market value (used in the report). The definition is not altered to meet the market, the market and comps are compared to the definition and in that comparison the appraiser determines whether or not they meet the definition. If they do you may be fine (but they may not be comparable for other reasons), if they don't then analyze, comment and adjust. What is so hard?

A liquidation sale, by definition, is NOT sold on the open market, or under prevailing market terms/exposure. An REO sold for liquidation value would be from a sheriff sale, or 3 day bid auction, for example.

Not true, the definition of Liquidation Value states "7. A limited marketing effort and time will be allowed for the completion of a sale." The type of marketing is not specified. Realize that when a sales agent signs a listing agreement they define what efforts they will make as to marketing including whether or not they will put it up on MLS, whether/not showings, and so forth. Just because a property is not in an auction does not mean that the marketing effort was not limited. No where does liquidation sale state it is ;limited to auctions. Further, many REOs are not sold on the open market either, but rather the agent/broker has buyer(s) lined up before even listing the property and they present the bid(s) to the client and put it up on MLS and pull it off the same day (DOM/CDOM 1 day) for some "unfathomable" reason (aka, likely just to meet their contractual obligations). Some offices have a policy that they list it internally for X days before it shows up on MLS (to maintain more of the commission in house ... again, this is included in their listing agreement). For most they have X days once signed to post it on MLS, if that is even mentioned in the listing agreement.

So, if it is on MLS for under 12 days is that really "adequate market exposure time" necessary to qualify it as even Disposition Value or even (FIRREA) Definition of Market Value?

A bank is never a "typical" seller.

The MV def does not exclude banks as a seller.

Banks are not allowed to be property owners under banking regulations and federal law (except for certain exclusions) so how can a bank be a "typical" seller let alone a "typically motivated" one? :laugh:

As far as I can tell I have no way of telling if you (or ResGuy) were even appraising prior to 2009. Actually and to be quite honest I strongly suspect that one or both of you guys were selling RE or brokering loans during that time frame. You can talk about what you and the prior 3 generations of "supervisors" you came from have been doing since they got into the business in 2001 and we'd just have to take you at your word for it, wouldn't we?

So yeah, if you're telling us that you applied downward adjustments to sales during the boom that were purchased by short-term investors or even filtered them out of your datasets when enough of the owner-occupants were present then we'd have to just trust you, right?

I'll let the 5 or 6 people who are actually following this discussion consider the merits of that assertion for themselves.

Anyways, that prior point remains untouched. You guys still aren't concerned about the *seller motivations* of your flip sales except when it fits your narrative. These sellers never intended to occupy, they have to sell because they aren't in the landlord business, and they can't afford to keep the properties. They're under as much pressure to sell as the banks and possibly more because there aren't any federal giveaways in place to keep them in business.

Mind you, I'm not critical of that apathy toward those sellers because I don't care, either. Where we part company is that I don't apply a different litmus test to the one type of seller for their motivations than I apply to all the others. My criticism relates to the inconsistency.

BTW, nice try in your attempt to twist my comment about flip sellers as somehow being about their motivations back when they were buyers. If you really want to talk about buyer motivations in the mix I'm certainly happy to do that but I cant imagine you'd want to go there.

Reading is fundamental.

Appraisers must be careful to identify when sales are occurring at market value, disposition value or liquidation value. Even when the only sales occurring are distressed sales, they do not represent market value if they do not meet the conditions of the definition of market value."[/I]

That if wouldn't be there if the authors thought those sales categorically could never meet the conditions of the definition of MV.

It's an inconvenient truth.

If you take that to mean it sold in the market, yes, you're correct. I said that meaning it's a distressed sale, not a market sale that is reflective of our defined Market Value of 2ndry mtg. A liquidation sale is sold in the market. A non arm's length sale could be sold in the market....it's not market value, as defined.

220px-The_Scream.jpg

Graaskamp saw the problem decades ago and suggested that appraisers should be responsible for reporting the "Most Probable Price" which would allow the appraiser to basically ignore the motivations of buyers and sellers and try to determine what the most likely price would be in the circumstance of the sale.

But then each appraisal would likely have to define Highest & Best Use for each property in more detail so that exactly what intended use under which the property was being appraised. The result is that we would really confuse most bankers, LOs and UWs ... :new_bat_angel:

I see no problem with using Graaskamp for certain appraisals as long as the definition and where it came from meets the dictates of USPAP and the H&BU defines the intended use of the property clearly enough (be it rental, rehab, flipping, holding, or as a residence for SFR alone).

Reading is fundamental.

That if wouldn't be there if the authors thought those sales categorically could never meet the conditions of the definition of MV.

It's an inconvenient truth.

Um, you do realize that said "if" is located in a section where they discuss THREE DIFFERENT definitions of market value, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back