• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Reporting bad NY State appraisers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas J Kirchmeyer

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
I cannot find on the state website where one can report a fraudulant appraisal/appraiser. Anyone know a valid email address or contact name/number? I should just go straight to Coumo. I have emailed the state licensing address and have not received a response. No wonder the system is not working.

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
I cannot find on the state website where one can report a fraudulant appraisal/appraiser. Anyone know a valid email address or contact name/number? I should just go straight to Coumo. I have emailed the state licensing address and have not received a response. No wonder the system is not working.

Attoney General Real Estate Division.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Moved to the New York section....you will get a faster response there. :)

Kevin Mc

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Contact the regional adviser for the area the appraisal was performed in. You should be able to get a list from the NYS Dept. of Licensing website.

JoTetherow

Professional Status
State
Nebraska

Tom, I cannot believe that you are asking this on the forum. You know that I am an RA for the state of NY. just give me a call.

the system works just fine

Jo

Thomas J Kirchmeyer

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Jo, that's not the point . The point I was trying to make is that if you go to the NYS website, div of appraiser licensing, where does it intstruct the public of how to report a bad appraisal? It should not be hidden somewhere. Can you direct me to the web address where it tells the public?

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Preliminary Statement of Complaint: The Department of State is committed to maintaining the integrity and competence of the licensees within its jurisdiction. Should a member of the public believe that a licensee has acted in an untrustworthy or incompetent manner, he or she may file a complaint with the Department's Division of Licensing Services. The complaint will be reviewed and an investigation will be commenced to determine whether the licensee should be disciplined. Both the licensee and the complainant are kept apprised of the proceedings.

A licensee who is found to be in violation of the law is subject to reprimand, fine, suspension or revocation.
Download Complaint Form

Also, see Legal Memorandum LI02: The Department of State Licensing Complaint Resolution Process.

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/lcns/licensing.html

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
IMPORTANT, perhaps sparsely advertised, SIDE NOTE:

WHILE no one at the DOLS ever responded directly to me, or other AF members who also inquired for clarification, the statement below contradicted the first announcement and clarified the States position on Supervisory Responsibilities applicable to small firms, regional firms, and national firms headquarted in NYS.

2008 DOLS APPRAISER UPDATE

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/lcns/newsltr/realestapp2008.html

eff: JAN 1, 2008

" Effective January 1, 2008 a state certified or licensed appraiser may supervise no more than three appraiser assistants."

Good Job DOLS NYS - Those of us who care, urgently request you ENFORCE it. Thanks.

Last edited:

Thomas J Kirchmeyer

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Thanks Mike for the website info. I actually spoke on the phone with Jo and she also directed me to the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks