• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Residential appraiser doing mixed use property

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for arguement sake, lets say I get an order for a S4 in Williamsburg that is used for 100% residential (there are100s there like it). That can only be appraised by a CG? Is the tax classification defining the property? or is the usage defining the property?

IMO, the tax classification is irrelevant. If I was a CR, I would be concerned about the usage and zoning. If the usage is residential but the zoning allows commercial or industrial, I believe a CG would be required for the H & B use analysis. my 2 cts...

IMO, the tax classification is irrelevant. If I was a CR, I would be concerned about the usage and zoning. If the usage is residential but the zoning allows commercial or industrial, I believe a CG would be required for the H & B use analysis. my 2 cts...

Agreed, but H&B use for an area like Williamsburg, in the scenario I described, is most definitely residential (higher rents). So assuming H&B usage is residential would you still say it was only to be performed by a CG? I only ask because given that zoning in so many residential areas throughout the 5 boros is M1 wouldn't that be an issue as well?

I know you don't want to hear this, but ANYTHING with commercial or industrial/manufacturing (or anything other than residential zoning) requires a CG to do the H & B use analysis, no matter how slam dunk it might appear. If someone were to make a complaint to the board and usage and/or zoning is anything other than residential, you can make book that the result will be a stiff fine and/or worse.

I would highly recommend that anyone regularly doing mixed use either hook up with a CG or get your general certification - it ain't that hard. Plus which, the future prospects for CGs is much brighter than CRs, IMO.

Good advice Ken and rest assured if I get anything remotely close to what we are talking about I will be stopping by for a signature...:rof:

Still no definitive answer.

What part of this is not definitive?

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/lcns/pdfs/reanwsltr.pdf

2003-0563 - On March 1, 2004 a Certified Residential Appraiser was fined $750 for appraising a mixed use property which is outside the scope of practice for a residential certification. The appraiser also used an incorrect form.

If still in doubt, submit a written inquiry to the board for their next board meeting or better yet, go in person and ask during the open discussion period.

I have no dog in this hunt - I have been a CG since day one...

Definitive Answer

Still no definitive answer.

post 8.

a) The scope of practice for a certified residential real estate appraiser is limited to:

Have any future meetings been scheduled yet?

post 8.

a) The scope of practice for a certified residential real estate appraiser is limited to:

The question Mike (and this only pertains to NYC where there are very significant grey areas) is an S2-S4 (mixed use) considered in anyway, shape or form a residential property? It is taxed as such but that doesn't answer the question and often many are used as 3-4 family homes (but still maintain a mixed use classification). Murky. It is something we can discuss at great length on the 16th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back