• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauljiang

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
New York
I have an appraisal report done 6 months ago. Now lender came back and argue there are more than 1 gas meter and 1 electric meter. So it's consider an one family with accessory unit. I was requested for comps with illegal accessory unit. However, there is only 1 kitchen in the house. Can I say no because it's old than 6 months or it's legal one unit?

graindart

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Montana
The answer probably differs with location. Some things that I'd consider are:
1. what was HBU?
2. what did zoning allow?
3. why did it have extra meters and did you notice / explain it in the original report?
4. what was the current use at the time of inspection? and did it's use predate the current zoning?
5. what would the typical buyer see it's potential use as?

The short answer to your question is: I am not aware of any 6 month set time in a law / official rule that would get you out of responding to the request. You can choose to respond to the request or not and it is a business decision that may or may not cost you a client. If it were me, I'd go back and look at my workfile to make sure that I analyzed & explained things properly and didn't miss something.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
1 kitchen and "accessory unit" may translate into some form of rooming house. Is this legal under zoning regs?

pauljiang

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
New York
I have already explained in the old report. The owner was trying to convert the subject from single family into two family but got disapproved. Base on lot size and zoning, subject doesn't allow to convert into two family. Subject was occupied as single family with one kitchen at the time of the inspection. Thank you for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks