• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Roof Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitarkus

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Kansas
Just looking to gather some opinions from VA Panel Appraisers on roof condition. See photos at this link....stained, curling, a couple of missing shingles. Roof is clearly aged and weathered. No signs of water infiltration was observed at the interior (recently painted by a flipper).

In my opinion....a roof with this appearance has limited remaining economic life. I am dubious as to whether 'repairs' at a few particularly curling or missing shingles will solve this roofing dilemma. I am fairly new to the VA Panel, but as I read the manual I think this might call for a roof replacement to meet MPR's. As a neophyte....I'm unaccustomed to requiring repairs/replacements rather than inspections......so....

Please let me know what you would say in your MPR's for a roof like this one:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/S36h47

Last edited:

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Just looking to gather some opinions from VA Panel Appraisers on roof condition. See photos at this link....stained, curling, a new missing areas. Roof is clearly aged and weathered. No signs of water infiltration was observed at the interior (recently painted by a flipper).

In my opinion....a roof with this appearance has limited remaining economic life.

Please let me know what you would say in your MPR's for a roof like this one:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/S36h47
I don't even need to look at the photo....as soon as you said curling shingles, you need to make the appraisal subject to a roof inspection as the roof is very likely at the end of its useful life....BTW, that would even be true for a conventional/GSE related appraisal report.

Kitarkus

Professional Status
State
Kansas
I don't even need to look at the photo....as soon as you said curling shingles, you need to make the appraisal subject to a roof inspection as the roof is very likely at the end of its useful life....BTW, that would even be true for a conventional/GSE related appraisal report.

Timd...are you a VA Panel Appraiser? VA doesn't want Appraisers to require inspections by qualified inspectors typically.....they expect the Appraiser to make the judgement call. Says so clearly in the handbook.

Edit:

Handbook says

"the appraiser should not require certifications or inspections (e.g., roofing, plumbing heating or air conditioning) for liability protection. The appraiser should require corrective action by licensed personnel if the condition does not appear to be safe, sound, or sanitary; or require nothing if the condition appears satisfactory.

The roof must provide reasonable future utility, durability and economy of maintenance. The appraiser should make this determination from his/her professional experience. Appraisers should never require a roof inspection unless there is evidence that the roof has failed or the roof has less than a two (2) year estimated remaining economic life.

If the roof does not appear to have an adequate remaining life, the appraiser should complete the appraisal subject to installation of a new roof by a licensed roofer.

If a small area of the roof is damaged and the appraiser believes it could be repaired without replacing the entire roof, the appraiser may require that the roof be repaired by a licensed roofer instead of bring replaced.

If a defective roof that is required to be replaced/repaired already has three layers of shingles, all old shingles must be removed."

Last edited:

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Timd...are you a VA Panel Appraiser? VA doesn't want required inspections by inspectors typically.....they expect the Appraiser to make the judgement call.
Then make the appraisal subject to a new roof, because a roof with a bunch of curled shingles is very likely at the end of its useful life

Marty Boone

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
If you aren't sure about the roof and don't have "professional experience" regarding roofs call for an inspection.

Appraisers should never require a roof inspection unless there is evidence that the roof has failed or the roof has less than a two (2) year estimated remaining economic life. I believe what VA doesn't want is an appraiser calling for professional inspections for every little thing.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Make the appraisal subject to a roof inspection certifying the required remaining life. That's allowed by VA per your quote.

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Do you know when the roof was installed and the projected lifespan of the roof?

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I concur. It appears you are reluctant to call for a new roof so asking for an expert to certify the roof has the required remaining life is an option. What others have quoted is often taken out of context. "the appraiser should not call for an inspection just to limit liability". if is was me I would make the appraisal subject to a new roof based on your comments. I'm not a roof expert but I can usually tell when one has reached the end of it's useful life.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Looks like 1 little piece missing in the first pic, and otherwise I just see a few lifted edges that look like no big deal imho.
Black roof goo, glue em down if you want.
Seems like it could qualify for a call for a repair of a small area, and inspection of the rest by a pro plus any more needed repairs.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
My dog can tell that roof is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks