• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Room Count

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wyoming
I am getting a set of question on a Relo appraisal and have a question I need help on quick. This seems like such an easy question, I was surprised to not find the answer on here somewhere. Anyway, here goes: I am looking for a standard on what rooms are considered in the total room count on a Relocation appraisal. (laundry,foyer,bedrooms,dining area, breakfast nook) If no one knows or it does not exist, I would be happy to incoporate FNMA or HUD standards if they can be documented. Thank you.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I typically do not count baths, utility areas, or foyers in the room count. I may count a dining area if its can be seperated by a wall and not deminish the utilty of the room. Otherwise, I usually don't count it either.

Wm. Hattaway

Professional Status
State
Florida
The way I do it is; I have a 1700 sq.ft. 3/2 house with a living room, laundry room, kitchen, breakfast nook, and dining area. My dining area is part of the living room and the breakfast nook is part of the kitchen. I don't count these 2. For room count I call it 6/3/2. I look for a physical barrier that defines the room.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I am not aware of any specifics regarding room count related to relocation appraising however the following is from FHA

Room design and count should reflect local custom. A dining area built as an L-shape off the kitchen may or may not be considered a room depending on the size.

To determine whether one or two rooms should be counted, hypothetically insert a wall to separate the two areas that have been built as one: if the residents can use the resulting two rooms with the same or more utility without increased inconvenience, count the room as two.

If the hypothetical wall would result in a lack of utility and increased inconvenience, count the room as one. The room count typically includes a living room (LR), dining room (DR), kitchen (KT), den (DN), recreation room (REC) and one or more bedrooms (BR). Typically, the foyer, bath and laundry room are not counted as rooms. A room is a livable area with a specific use.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
What does it say in the Relocation Appraisal Manual?

Whatever the type of appraisal, I count only areas where living is the obvious purpose, as living area and as part of the room count. Bathrooms have a seperate place in the count. But, you do not "Live" in areas such as a laundry, utility room, or any other "Service" room or area. I do count an area as a dining room if it has 2 walls. Otherwise it is not a seperate room. It might be called a dining area, but not a room.

This is the way I count rooms whether for Relo or any other appraisal.

Wyoming

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Wyoming
Thanks Howard for the 4150.2 reminder. I always prefer to site some source rather than just say "industry standards" dictate blah blah blah.

NC Old Guy

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Heck, most realtors count the foyer, hall, baths,laundry, HVAC area & anything else they can count. :rof: Figured that out one day when I was reading an MLS sheet of a 1200 sqft that had something like 9/3/2. I always count what the realtor gives as rooms and too many count a "foyer", "breakfast nook", "laundry", "service area", etc. I net them out to keep comarisons similar. I disagree with Don. For me, dining room requires going through a door. Dining area/nook/breakfast nook and all of the other names are part of the kitchen, IMHO. Just like, the "sitting room" off the master bedroom does not make for 2 rooms just because one has an area big enough for a couch, big screen TV, etc at the end of the master. No wall--just 1 humongous suite and not 2 rooms.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I am not aware of any specifics regarding room count related to relocation appraising however the following is from FHA

The problem I have with that is you have to make an assumption or use a hypothetical . And, if you are doing an as is appraisal then you can't do that on the 1004 URAR.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
State
Florida
The problem I have with that is you have to make an assumption or use a hypothetical . And, if you are doing an as is appraisal then you can't do that on the 1004 URAR.

Obviously you may perform reports however you see fit. Nevertheless, the information quoted in the prior post is directly from FHA appraisal guidelines.

WMOORES

Professional Status
State
Florida
I agree with Howard. Anytime I have an issue I crack open the HUD Handbook. I also make the handbook required reading for trainees. It's almost as they have an epiphany, you can actually see the light go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks