• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Safety Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esox

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Well, I thought I knew how I was going to handle this situation, but have been reading the responses to a thread in General Discussion about concrete blocks as steps that have made me pause. I did an FHA inspection Friday and the house, a small 20's bungalow, has no steps or porch offering access to the front door which leads to an enclosed porch. My first thought was it was a safety issue as the door is 3.5' above the ground. I was going to call for the installation of steps that meet code. I'm going to speak to the municipality tomorrow about what is required.

Now I see some responses in the other thread that make me wonder if I just report the condition. Also, the metal screen door to the porch is bent and doesn't close, the interior door is warped, doesn't close properly, and is held shut by a metal pin that is inserted through a hole drilled through the door trim and into the door. I consider this a saftey issue, also (door won't open, doesn't close well to keep out the cold, etc). Anybody want to offer an opinion?

This one also has some other issues. Bad garage roof, and a weird setup with the well. There is no exterior well cap and there is an interior "jet pump" in the basement. I'm talking to the municipality on that tomorrow, too, to see if they have issues with the set up. The well will have to be tested before transfer. I have found nothing in the handbook speaking to the lack of an exterior cap. First time I've run across this in 19 years.

And of course, peeling paint. Here's a pic of the front door set up. I hope it posts.

Kevin

Attachments

• front-meadow.jpg
    front-meadow.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 60

Mark to market

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Required repairs will be limited to necessary requirements to:
· protect the health and safety of the occupants (Safety)
· protect the security of the property (Security)
· correct physical deficiencies or conditions affecting structural integrity (Soundness)

A door with no steps is a safety issue.

The door that will not close is a security issue. Entry doors should be operable

Individual Water Supply and Sewage Systems
Identify the type of utilities in the site section of the appraisal report. When water and sewer are private, well and septic testing is to be governed by state or local requirements; however, the appraiser must note any readily observable deficiencies regarding the well or septic system. The appraiser is also required to report on the availability of connection to public and/or community water/sewer systems. The lender is responsible for the determination of the feasibility for requiring connection.

Michael Tipton

Professional Status
State
Florida
Review Mortgagee Letter 2005-48.

http://www.HUD.gov/offices/adm/hudclips/letters/mortgagee/05-48ml.pdf

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Mark has it right! Call for the repair.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Even on FannieReports I make a repair requirement for "doors to nowhere."

Anthem

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
This reminds me of a 10,000 SF Home I appraised, it had french doors on the second floor that lead to ....... a long way down.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
This reminds me of a 10,000 SF Home I appraised, it had french doors on the second floor that lead to ....... a long way down.

I bet the view was breathtaking.

Anthem

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I bet the view was breathtaking.

They screwed the doors shut so I was lucky enough to not enjoy the invisible balcony.

Esox

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
My first thoughts were obviously correct. It seemed that several forum members were making light of a similar situation in the linked thread. Especially the last post and the post by Mentor. Maybe I misunderstood.

http://appraisersforum.com/showthread.php?t=140192

The defects with the door for the property I'm appraising are a little more glaring, obviously.

I keep the handbook and mortgagee letters handy, and took me a little FHA CE class before starting to do these again, but sometimes a feller just feels like askin'.

Thanks.

Kevin

sammiboii

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina

That is the funniest thing I've read all day today. Thank you, I needed a good laugh.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks