• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrittcarey

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Michigan
I was thinking about getting in to the business for something to do part-time. I am going to attend the Holloway Istitute in Febuary. I am looking for a mentor. They sure are hard to find. Am I crazy or is there room for me? If there is do you know anyone willing to help a newbie?:)

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
We now have a gross over-supply of appraisers, especially trainees. Many that have been Certified for a number of years are looking for other work.

I dunno if those statistics will help you.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
I was thinking about getting in to the business for something to do part-time. I am going to attend the Holloway Istitute in Febuary. I am looking for a mentor. They sure are hard to find. Am I crazy or is there room for me? If there is do you know anyone willing to help a newbie?:)

Unless you definitely have someone (Certified Appraiser) who you have an agreement with and who will train you and provide you with some work to do...and, if not, you are very motivated to receive the education and expect no use (i.e., working as an appraiser) to come of it...re-think your plans.

Mary Tiernan

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Michigan
Good luck in your pursuits.

First thing you should do is review the State of Michigan website dedicated to appraisal issues - here is a link for you:

http://www.michigan.gov/cis/0,1607,7-154-35299_35414_35474---,00.html

Unfortunately, I was unable to open this page, but it may be temporarily down.

As of January 2008, there are new requirements to become a licensed appraiser - most states have or will adopt these new requirements some time in the near future - Michigan has adopted the new requirements as of January 1, 2008. Please make sure you understand what it takes to become an appraiser before you take the first step.

Also, please note that as of January 2008 only a State Certified Appraiser can mentor a trainee, and each appraiser is limited to three trainees at a time. Keep these facts in mind as you search for someone to assist you in your quest to become an appraiser.

Good luck to you and please make sure you review all the information on the State's web site before making the commitment.

friendbrook

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Alot of changes have been made to the industry. Have you reviewed the changes and requirements? I feel this is not a "something to do part-time" job. It takes dedication, practice, and many many hours of working without much pay during the apprenticeship time. You will be required to get your 2000 hours in within one year now under a certified lic. appraiser, something you can't do part-time. But I can say this: I am happy with my career change thus far! It's been many many hours of work -- but the reward of knowledge has been awesome!

Good Luck with your decision.

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Not a real good business to be a part time in. Many Certifieds are limited in the number of people they can train, likely they would not want someone is only looking to put half the effort in as thousands desperate for a job.

But I would be happy to school you on the business in our fair state, please feel free to email me.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Brian you could school me on the business in your fair state....I was thinking about becoming a Michigan appraiser........

evansARE @ aol.com -- remove the spaces.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
AF Addict and you are asking me?

Well, when you live without a wife for over a year you have to have a hobby. I had a couple choices....be a bar fly..(ok, I have been accused of that), be a **** addict (no, can't afford the monthly fees and the computer repair), join a quilting club, become a productive citizen, or post meaningless responses on the Appraisers Forum, I chose the latter.

Hoping the post count will drop starting Feb 29....I will have a wife again...or maybe they will increase....Who knows...?

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
State
Michigan
The first step tp recovery is to admit you are powerless over the AF, and that it has made your life unmanageable. Or something to that effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks