• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

So do you really hate (or fear) desktop assignments?

The fee for both types of assignments are the same. Which assignments would you choose?

  • 1. The conventional 1004 w/ personal inspection.

  • 2. Desktop appraisal, no inspection

  • 3. Trick question. The entire world is conspiring against appraisers so I don't appraise anymore


Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2002
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
A high volume client calls and tells you they have lots of desktop and conventional 1004s in your area of operations, enough to keep you busy. The property types are the same for both types of assignments. The fees are the same for both types of assignments (similar to the prevailing fees for VA in your area). The only hitch is that you have to commit to working either one track or the other and you can only switch tracks every 3 months.

Which assignments would you choose?
 
I'm guessing desktops are going to be for lenders to start assessing delinquent loans.
 
A high volume client calls and tells you they have lots of desktop and conventional 1004s in your area of operations, enough to keep you busy. The property types are the same for both types of assignments. The fees are the same for both types of assignments (similar to the prevailing fees for VA in your area). The only hitch is that you have to commit to working either one track or the other and you can only switch tracks every 3 months.

Which assignments would you choose?

I'm guessing desktops are going to be for lenders to start assessing delinquent loans.
Typical borrowers who have defaulted loans do not let people into their house and those will all be 2055 exteriors without floor plans and many with no previous MLS photos. Once delinquent or defaulted almost all borrowers becomes hostile witnesses :)
 
I don't do 1004s nor desktops per se. So what happened to the 2055? There is a difference between a desktop and a hybrid. My mineral appraisals are normally "desktop" in that there is no point in "inspecting" something below ground. And yesterday, I just completed the greater part of 2 days inspecting a single comparable property. It is a large farm. It has a recently remodeled house. My picture of the house was shot at 220mm with a DSLR and then cropped. That's how far off the road it was. Then my next comp likewise took all day and that house isn't visible. A broker scooped that property from another who had shot the drone footage and he was unhappy missing out of a commission involving a $4 million plus property. And all the available photos were on Google because agent #2 is from an MLS 240 miles away and he didn't put it on Realtor.com or Zillow. I don't know a soul on that MLS to even get those pix.

The subject is a property I did for an estate that is now going to be a sale so they need an update to provide to the CPA and IRS for gifting. So this "desktop" is going to be about 80 pages long. But I am not depending upon some 3rd party for "inspection" of the subject nor the comps. If I don't know them, I don't trust them.
 
Who do you think the seller is going to blame when the opinion of value is less than the contract price? (Hint, the person signing the report, but who never set foot on the property).

Look at this from a disgruntled seller's point of view. Do you want that extra heat?
 
Who do you think the seller is going to blame when the opinion of value is less than the contract price? (Hint, the person signing the report, but who never set foot on the property).

Look at this from a disgruntled seller's point of view. Do you want that extra heat?
Fixed It For You A Desk Top = Purchase Price= No Complaints :)
 
From a personal perspective like as a dad and just a individual person I would prefer to do desktops. From like a appraiser POV I would prefer to do site visits.

I don't really like meeting people but I gain a lot of useful information meeting and chatting with agents and homeowners in general. Plus things that have to do with quality is not always visual. Things like weight of doors or like the vibe of a property and other stuff like that is not visible in photos.

I doubt my clients was desktops anyways.
 
Really no speed difference, they aren't easier .. but higher liability with the desktop, imo. Why would I choose higher liability for the same fee? Not to mention that it is diminishing the appraisal profession. Most appraisers like the appraisal profession because they hate cubicle jobs. One of the favorite parts of appraising for me is getting out of the office and seeing new things.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top