• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Square footage of dormers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MimiH

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Maryland
I have a realtor who wants me to add the square footage of 2 2nd floor dormers (36 sq. ft.) to the measured GLA of the house. I didn't think this should be added in..... need opinions.

Obsolescent

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Minnesota
If its part of the above grade finished area, then I typically include it when I measure out that space. This is where a disto comes in quite handy.

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
I normally add the square footage of any dormers with five feet or more of ceiling height.

c w d

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Can you live in a dormer? Does the sqft of the dormer have any substantial effect on value? I would probably adjust for design and style aspects before I went back at the request of someone who is not my client to measure 36SQFT. And don't give me 36SQFT is value. Because if we're going to be concerned with 36SQFT then those of you who use mechanical tapes need to start calibrating them according to temperature differences. You probably lose or add 36SQFT depending on whether it's hot or cold, respectively.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I have a realtor who wants me to add the square footage of 2 2nd floor dormers (36 sq. ft.) to the measured GLA of the house. I didn't think this should be added in..... need opinions.
Just what exactly is your rationale for not including the space? Is the ceiling too low? Are they too narrow to use for a chair or other furniture? Without knowing why you chose not to include it, how can anyone possibly give a reasonable answer to your question? :shrug:

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
As long as the dormer has floor space and is higher than 5' from floor to ceiling, I count it. Sometimes they are a bench dormer and as long as there is no storage below the bench that goes to the floor, then I don't count it.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
A bathroom may have 30 sq. ft. or less. Would you not count that in your GLA? Measure the dormer and sketch it out. It's not that difficult.

vargasteve

Professional Status
State
California
Ansi

The ANSI standard describes the only 'official' method of measuring a property. You can search the forum for ANSI under advanced search. I have a copy in the office, it clarifys how to measure dormers, stairswells, and sloped ceilings. It is well worth the $ - I bought a digital copy.

Reason I suggest it is if you ask 10 people you might get as many different answers. It is nice to have standard to go off. I believe all builders & architechs use the ANSI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks