• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Stairwell As Gba

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
In your market area, should a three-sided stairwell in an apartment complex count in GBA?

upload_2017-11-16_11-6-20.png

Gobears81

Professional Status
State
Illinois
If I encountered that, I wouldn't include it. But, I usually analyze apartments on a price per unit (or bedroom in some cases), so while I would consider differences in the gross building area for the unit mix adjustment, whether the units have interior or exterior entrances is also considered in the GBA differences for making that adjustment. So that wouldn't result in as much of a potential swing in value as it would on say a three-sided warehouse.

nstanbru

Professional Status
State
California
In my area, no. The majority of the apartment buildings show GLA (Assessor data, permit data, etc.). So in order to maintain consistency, GLA is normally the factor, not GBA. Although on very rare occasions, I have seen it used.

Michael S

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
I wouldn't include it. However, I've always analyzed apartments on a per unit basis and generally only consider net rentable area as far as many any adjustments for different average unit sizes, etc. The only thing I use GBA for is the cost approach.

NachoPerito

Professional Status
State
Washington
I wouldn't include it.

GBA would include interior enclosed hallways, but my rentable area is within the units only.

I analyze sales on a price per unit and price per SF basis, maybe I should just do one. That approach is hardly given weight anyways. Its all about the income.

Professional Status
State
Florida
GBA (Gross Building Area) would only be used in the cost approach, and this complex looks too old for it to be a reliable approach. Stairwells are excluded from NET RENTABLE AREA, which is the sum of apartment living area. As an extreme example, buildings can have huge landings that also serve as common-area patios... these are not NRA and in market rent estimates they would be compared as tenant amenities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks