• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

State-by-state Residential Smoke Alarm Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahhhh Yeahhhh

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Georgia
How can you tell the difference between a smoke alarm, CO alarm, smoke detector, heat alarm, door bell, fancy surveillance camera designed to look like a smoke alarm, or any of the new myriad of electronic devices that are designed to detect smoke and/or CO from a common door bell? Nest, intercom system, etc.

I refuse to refer to anything as a smoke alarm or a CO alarm. I take a picture of anything that looks remotely like one and say see photos.

Besides, an improperly installed alarm or detector is likely no more useful than no alarm at all. I am not willing to suggest that the subject meets the state requirements in regards to smoke or CO alarms.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
How can you tell the difference between a smoke alarm, CO alarm, smoke detector, heat alarm, door bell, fancy surveillance camera designed to look like a smoke alarm, or any of the new myriad of electronic devices that are designed to detect smoke and/or CO from a common door bell? Nest, intercom system, etc.

Good point.

The 1 client wants me to comment on those is OK if I say there are detectors here and there, but I can't tell which or what they are.
Why ask me about these in the first place then? :shrug:

chad hampton

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Not sure I've ever checked for a smoke alarm or CO alarm. They don't have much of an impact on value in my market.

I had 1 bank from CA ask me if a home had CO detectors once. I had to go back out and take a photo. Walked all over trying to find a white box on the wall of ceiling somewhere. Found something on the ceiling, couldn't read what it was. Took a photo, said this might be one, no idea what it is or if it works and sent it in. Never heard back.

Waste of a trip.

Confident Rabbit

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Washington
I follow VA policy when it comes to smoke alarms, CO detectors and the like:
B) VA does NOT require: Water/Utilities to be turned on, HUD/Data plates on manufactured homes, building permits on additions, contractual items that are NOT MPRs, state-specific requirements (i.e. smoke/CO detectors).

I do, however, carry a ladder. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks