• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

strapped down to foundation for FHA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

George A Easton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
what is the FHA stance on a manufactured home being "strapped" down. i always check if the axles and tow hitch are removed and note the type of foundation, but i've never heard of the house having to be physically strapped down for FHA purposes. i mean it makes sense from a wind resistence perspective but from my HUD training, i saw no mention of this. incidentally, i do have a recorded affidavit of afixture. so is the lack of tiedowns a callout for required repair?

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
George,

We appraisers don't try to make determinations about wind shear and adequate tie downs. That stuff is meant for the engineers to deal with. :)

If the lender has provided you with a certification from a licensed engineer regarding the foundation meeting FHA minimum requirements, include it in your report and move on.

If not, use check box 4 and condition it for the underwriter's receipt of that certification.

George A Easton

Professional Status
State
Arizona
thanks Catarina. my head was swimming when i looked at 4930.3G. the homeowner told me that the didn't have the place anchored and was going to do it once his refinance was complete. i said "um, i'm pretty sure you should have that done before i come out, or i'll have to charge you another $100 to visit once it's installed. i'm not your LO, but you might want to clarify that on their end". they guy's already sunk $350 with me when his loan was supposed to go conventional and now he's going FHA and i'm already having to charge him again to revisit and do an FHA inspection. i guess i'm too nice

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Ah. Well, unfortunately he's going to have to sink at least another $200 or $300 merely into the certification report. That's an FHA thing that you just can't get around. It does take the onus and the liability off of you though.

It does seem that the borrowers that can least afford them get the most expensive set of requirements at times.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
I agree with Caterina--your FHA appraisal report is marked "subject to" an inspection by a licensed engineer to determine if the installation and foundation meets the requirements in the Permanent Foundation Guidelines for Manufactured Housing. The recorded Affidavit of Affixture is only a paper trail that enables the manufactured home to be taxed as real property--it has absolutely nothing to do with anything physically. While at the subject did you see a professionally installer's insignia? Was the blank for anchoring checked in some way or blank? If checked with an X or Y, tie downs were installed by the professional installer. Which indicates compliance with local and state requirements--although tie downs are not required in the state of Arizona. However, FHA requires an inspector from a licensed engineer in addition to local and state requirements.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
This may help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks