• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Suburban vs. Rural

Status
Not open for further replies.

J in Florida

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
What is the criteria, if any, of what constitutes suburban vs. rural. Is there anything in the FNMA guidelines or USPAP that gives specific requirements (ie built-up rate, miminum time distances, minimum distance to support facilities, road surface, distance to comps, etc) or is it all simply appraiser judgement?

Joe Sloan

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Jim-

No. Sort of.

The thread above can direct you to previous discussion.

Joe Sloan

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Pigs, Cows, Chickens, Horses....you figure it out!

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
Mike I agree with the livestock reference......in my opinion when debating whether or not a property is rural, it's best to forget USPAP, the AI, FHA, Henry Harrison and that damned cat he’s always
hugging....when deciding whether or not a property is rural, I’ll use Foxworthy over Harrison any
day of the week.......

if you can hear the borrower’s dogs before you can see any improvements.....IT MIGHT BE
RURAL
if the borrower invited 10 or more friends over so they could watch an appraisal inspection taking
place .....IT MIGHT BE RURAL
if you’re the 5th appraiser to be asked to complete the order.....IT MIGHT BE RURAL
if the immediate area has more heifers than joggers.....IT MIGHT BE RURAL
if the borrower appears to have an unusual friendship with his sheep..........IT MIGHT BE
RURAL
if you haven’t seen a Volvo or Peugot within 10 miles.....IT MIGHT BE RURAL
and lastly...........and I detest posting old material, but in this instance it is a must
...if roadkill can be used to define the neighborhood boundaries....................IT DAMN SURE
AIN’T SUBURBAN :)

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
In my area Bobby--that would be urban! Down town Safford, the largest city in the county.

Kathy in FL

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Urban: pizza delivery, garbage pickup, high speed internet, kids with handguns, dogs on leashes, no clue who your neighbors are

Suburban: pizza delivery, garbage pickup, cable internet, kids on skateboards, nosy neighbors, dogs in fenced back yards

Rural: No pizza, drive your OWN garbage, dial up internet, kids on horses, dogs running everywhere, neighbors are all cousins

Kathy in FL

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Nearest "urban" areas are 108 miles southeast in Bay City and 105 miles to the north in Sault Ste Marie Ont. Having only pockets of urban density, we were constantly running into this problem. Here's my solution right out of the Neighborhood section of a report:

"LINKAGE TO SHOPPING, SCHOOLS AND EMPLOYMENT IS CONSIDERED AVERAGE FOR THE MARKET AND PROXIMATES "SUBURBAN" IN MORE BUILT-UP AREAS. NORMAL AMENITIES AND SERVICES ARE WITHIN ACCEPTABLE DRIVING DISTANCE OF SUBJECT."

In plain English, if it isn't far enough to bother a homeowner, it is not considered rural. I call it suburban unless it is actually inside one of our small cities. These get called urban. Since nobody could define these terms in relation to our market, I made up my own definition. To date, not one person has challenged it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks