• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

The Great UAD 3.6 Fiasco

Doug Wegener

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oregon
Share your experience with all the problems you are having with the 3.6 forms.
 
I am still in the training and information-gathering stage with DataMaster and TOTAL. My initial impression is that DataMaster may have released an unfinished UAD 3.6 product in order to meet the deadline and keep up with competing platforms.

I am also working through TOTAL’s four-hour UAD 3.6 tutorial. I found the extensive focus on the mobile functionality a little unrealistic. While the features may be useful, personally I do not see myself entering and reviewing detailed property information item by item on a mobile device during an inspection. In the field, that would be difficult and inefficient. It makes me wonder how often appraisers will actually use those features in practice.

Based on the training so far, UAD 3.6 feels designed more around highly detailed data collection than around the appraiser’s actual reporting workflow. It appears intuitive for the people who read and use the report such as lenders and borrowers but less intuitive for the appraiser who has to collect, analyze, enter, and reconcile all of that information. I may feel differently once I have more hands on experience, but that is my impression so far.
 
Here is a problem. I am using Regorra and there is supposed to be an auto save feature, yet I am already encountered problems. Typing in the land comparables for the site value is a bit tedious as you cannot just copy and paste them in. They have to be manually filled in. I did that with 2 sales and stopped working. When I came back they had disappeared. Had to do it all over again. Quite a bit of other information was not saved too. I wonder if this is the same in other forms? It seems a glaring oversight that you cannot manually save. Autosave is great if it works, if it doesn't - not so much.
 
Last edited:
The foregoing reminds me of the good old days when WinTotal 2000 and Windows ME clashed, keeping me up half the night retyping entire reports that the system inexplicably dumped.
 
I am still in the training and information-gathering stage with DataMaster and TOTAL. My initial impression is that DataMaster may have released an unfinished UAD 3.6 product in order to meet the deadline and keep up with competing platforms.

I am also working through TOTAL’s four-hour UAD 3.6 tutorial. I found the extensive focus on the mobile functionality a little unrealistic. While the features may be useful, personally I do not see myself entering and reviewing detailed property information item by item on a mobile device during an inspection. In the field, that would be difficult and inefficient. It makes me wonder how often appraisers will actually use those features in practice.

Based on the training so far, UAD 3.6 feels designed more around highly detailed data collection than around the appraiser’s actual reporting workflow. It appears intuitive for the people who read and use the report such as lenders and borrowers but less intuitive for the appraiser who has to collect, analyze, enter, and reconcile all of that information. I may feel differently once I have more hands on experience, but that is my impression so far.
So far that has been my experience also.
 
I don't plan on going completely mobile. I think I will be able to gather the information I need and speed the inspection and go back to big screen desktop and do report.

I may be totally wrong. I may have to change my plan. I need to develop bucket list for inspection. That will be my first approach. Bucket list.

I need to do that alamode 4 hour introduction. That needs to be 1st most likely. I think Fannie or Freddie have an introduction too I need to do. Maybe I can watch football in background while doing the introductions.
 
I don't plan on going completely mobile. I think I will be able to gather the information I need and speed the inspection and go back to big screen desktop and do report.

I may be totally wrong. I may have to change my plan. I need to develop bucket list for inspection. That will be my first approach. Bucket list.

I need to do that alamode 4 hour introduction. That needs to be 1st most likely. I think Fannie or Freddie have an introduction too I need to do. Maybe I can watch football in background while doing the introductions.
IMO, a hybrid inspection might be the way to go. Especially if the HO are present. For the most part, they want us in and out. I like the idea of mobile in theory, but prefer the old school way. I am not trusting of just a device for all my data collecting and storage.
 
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Back
Top